Upgrading Jamf Connect, best practices?

Scotty
Contributor

Hi all, we are currently using Jamf Connect 2.5, deploying via DEP enrollment. Our config profiles are 2.4.4. I have 3 separate profiles for connect, 4 if you count the notifications payload. One for Login, one for Menu bar and one for the license. 

I would like to upgrade to 2.8. What is the best practice for doing so? I see form the Connect 2.8 admin guide there is settings to upgrade in Settings > Jamf Connect >, but I'm a little grey on this, does it upgrade the Connect installed on the machine or just the config profile versions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

danitree
New Contributor III

Hi @Scotty,

From Settings > Jamf Applications > Jamf Connect you could just set it to update automatically the app and later go through the newest additions in a new configuration profile.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 10.36.40.png

Also remember to sign and update the package for your PreStage Enrollments.

After that you should check the configuration profile as it it's not updated it with the latest version and changes.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

danitree
New Contributor III

Hi @Scotty,

From Settings > Jamf Applications > Jamf Connect you could just set it to update automatically the app and later go through the newest additions in a new configuration profile.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 10.36.40.png

Also remember to sign and update the package for your PreStage Enrollments.

After that you should check the configuration profile as it it's not updated it with the latest version and changes.

Cheers.

All I see there is to set up a Cloud Services Connection and that then fails. Is there a trick to that?

danitree
New Contributor III

Hi @erichughes,

If you have an active Jamf Connect license under your Jamf ID > Products > Connect you should be able to link it to your Jamf Pro instance so you could enable the menu I’ve shown.

Cheers.

@danitree good stuff seems simple enough. 
So, I have multiple connect profiles as I separate them all out per payload. Could I just choose to enable updating on 1 of them and leave the others off? Seems like it wouldn't care. 

There are no issues with updating the connect client version on the machine but using an older connect profile version right? I'm on 2.4.4 and, don't really want to rebuild it right now. But I am reviewing the new options. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 5.52.52 PM.png

danitree
New Contributor III

Hi @Scotty,

Exactly, you should be good enough updating the app and if you want the payload/profile with the newest changes.

You could test first any changes downloading the latest Jamf Connect App Configuration and upload the .mobileconfig or go to your instance Computers > Configuration Profiles > New > Application & Custom Settings > Jamf Applications.

With this last option you have the extra benefit that you can “see” the actual Plist and you can edit each Field with the info. related instead of having to make always a new .mobileconfig. Whenever there’s a new release just copy&paste the fields to the new version of the configuration and test the new features.

I was aware of some minor issues of discrepancies between the Jamf console GUI and the Connect config app, so I was using the console GUI to make them, but boy is it a pain. I may try the config app again. It sure is easier just editing the config directly. 

Scotty
Contributor

ok, if I can ask another question. Once I get connect 2.8 rolled out whats the best way to change over to 2.8 profiles? 

make new ones, deploy then remoe old? update old on in place and deploy? 

danitree
New Contributor III

Hi @Scotty,

As you're using the Jamf Connect APP to create the .mobileconfig I would just create a new profile scoped to your actual computers and remove the old profile.

Changes are applied immediately not like policies so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you decide to create the profile through your Jamf instance you can remove the reference inside that profile and add the new for the 2.8 version.