How to add same custom app for both Intel and ARM64?

rna2i
New Contributor

Hi all,
I have downloaded two DMG files for the same application. One for Intel and one for ARM64.
I have created two PKG files with Composer from two DMG files.
When I add the 2nd PKG file, I get an error that says that the app already exists in my library.
How do I correctly handle having installation files for the same app, but for different architectures?
Br,
Rasmus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Does the vendor not make a universal installer available?  Jamf is seeing the same bundle ID and assuming the app is a duplicate (which it is).  I saw this same issue with VLC prior to them offering a universal binary pkg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rna2i
New Contributor

Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 14.19.53.png

jcarr

Does the vendor not make a universal installer available?  Jamf is seeing the same bundle ID and assuming the app is a duplicate (which it is).  I saw this same issue with VLC prior to them offering a universal binary pkg

rna2i
New Contributor

Unfortunately not yet. They provide a DMG file for each platform.

jcarr

VLC did the same thing.  Don't assume they already know this is an issue.  Contact them and let them know that this is preventing their customers from deploying their software in mixed platform environments.

rna2i
New Contributor

Thanks, I will contact them.

Tapia
New Contributor III

Can you not name the actual package differently in Composer? (ex: jetbrains-toolbox-1.24.1197ARM.pkg and jetbrains-toolbox-1.24.1197x86.pkg) Does this still error out while uploading to Jamf Pro?

If so, you could have a policy for the x86 version of jetbrains (with a custom trigger "jetbrainsx86" or something) and a seperate policy for the arm ("jetbrainsARM" version. Then have a third policy with a script to "if arch = ARM then sudo jamf -event jetbrainsARM / if arch = x86 then sudo jamf -event jetbrainsx86"

Not the cleanest or most efficient way probably but may work. Universal installer would be the play though, if one can be made available..

jcarr

You can using Jamf Pro, but Jamf School (and maybe Jamf Now?) look at the bundle identifier of the app in the package and will flag duplicates.