9.6.4 automating IOS Wallpaper push

mcarasso
New Contributor III

Is there a way to automate the push of the ios wallpaper push so that students don't a solid control of the wallpaper.

13 REPLIES 13

brandonusher
Contributor II

This is a restriction within iOS implemented by Apple themselves. As far as I know, the only similar thing is through Apple Configurator, and that only changes it when the device is plugged in. Once the device is un-plugged, the wallpaper can be changed by the user.

mcarasso
New Contributor III

I was thinking it would be great to add it as something that could be reapplied at checkins

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

As @usher.br mentioned, Apple controls what is possible on an iOS device via their MDM framework. If the capability to manage the device wallpaper isn't there, JAMF can't provide the ability in their product. There's no real leeway with this, and I've heard of cases of some MDM providers losing their right to manage iOS devices for trying to get around Apple's restrictions and policies.
Without even looking into it at all, I can tell you that something like the device wallpaper is seen by Apple as a very personal setting, so I would not hold my breath on seeing the ability to control that coming anytime soon. Apple is wary of stepping on what they see as personal settings on iOS devices.

ILSG_Admin
New Contributor

I was curious about this as well as the release notes tease the ability to remotely control the iOS wallpaper in this update, but I can't seem to find it, I may be blind though.

millersc
Valued Contributor

I think I'm blind too. I scoured every setting on the mobile side and found nothing. I even looked up competitors directions and could not find the setting where they say they are.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I hadn't heard that it was mentioned in the 9.64 release notes. If its mentioned there as a capability, you should contact JAMF support to find out what that references. I'm wondering if that wasn't supposed to be in there, or if it only shows up under very specific circumstances. Not managing iOS here, so I have no point of reference myself.

millersc
Valued Contributor

Release notes, first page??
"Setting the wallpaper—Added the ability for JSS administrators to set the wallpaper on supervised mobile devices with iOS 7 or later"

millersc
Valued Contributor

Ok @mm2270 just jogged my mind with the last post. So I looked. You can only do this AFTER the devise is Supervised from Management tab, then Management Commands. There is a new button "Set Wallpaper". You can set both, or just one or other. "Image or photo to set as wallpaper. It is recommended that you use a file with the JPEG or PNG format"

Tigerhaven
Contributor

is it available for JAMFCloud to ?

Kunal V

VCHS
New Contributor II

We use JAMFCloud and yes, it is available. To add to millersc's post, you can also use the Action button (Send Remote Command) within the Device Groups to set the wallpaper on multiple devices.

Tigerhaven
Contributor

thanks VCHS, is there a way I can contact you directly as I rarely find people who are on Jamfcloud and would like to know how is it working for them , what issues you are facing. I will appreciate it

Kunal V

VCHS
New Contributor II

@[/color]Tigerhaven, I do not see a way to PM you.

Tigerhaven
Contributor

@VCHS my email is kunalsjobs@gmail.com if you want to use it it would be helpful

Kunal V