9.81 Installation Reports - Gotchas ?

rcorbin
Contributor II

I'm very interested to hear how 9.81 works for people. I'm still at 9.73. I didn't move to 9.8 as it looked like there were a few problems. Hoping that is all resolved in 9.81.

Do the Self Service issues of 9.8 seem to be worked out ?

48 REPLIES 48

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

Just did the upgrade on my dev and prod from 9.73 to 9.81 on Windows 2k12 without issue, very smooth. No issues to report on the client side either.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Smooth upgrade on Windows Server 2012. Self Services also works.

scottb
Honored Contributor

No issues on a Linux install on a cloud-based VM.
Not a lot of testing yet though...

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

No issues so far. Upgrade was fine on Win 2008r2. Self service is fixed here as well. Device based app assignment seems to work fine so far.

jreinstedler
New Contributor III

Our JSS upgrade (9.73 on Server 2k8r2 - clustered) encountered issues and the installer proceeded to "back out the changes" which broke Tomcat and Java.

Initial error message received:

Product: JSS -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action initTomcatAsUpgrade.vbs script error -2147024894, WshShell.Exec: The system cannot find the file specified. Line 273, Column 2,

Subsequent attempts fail as Java is no longer seen by the installer package:

Product: JSS -- The JSS requires Java 1.6 or later to be installed to function properly. Please verify that you have Java 1.6 or later installed and try running the JSS installer again.

I'll be rolling back to our snapshot for now... :/

rdwhitt
Contributor II

RHEL upgrade from 9.72 to 9.81.

Pretty smooth upgrading the JSS and one clustered JSS. Upgrading the JDS was a little weird. The jds.conf file was overwritten and apache would not start. I had to do a little editing to get apache back up, but nothing major.

Overall happy at the moment...clients are checking in, Self Service is working. My site admins will be checking this out over the next week so we'll see.

bruce_heisler
New Contributor

Just upgraded to 9.81 from 9.73 on Server 2012 R2, no errors. We will see what happens tomorrow. Looks good so far!

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

9.8 to 9.81 went pretty smooth, broke the clustering, but found a JN post on now to fix it, so minimal impact there.

Since then I've noticed a problem with Config Profiles deploying to all machines when scoped to just one. Though, that could be my own fault - waiting on my jamf support case.

Also, I noticed composer wasn't displaying the popup for flat vs non-flat pkg file creation.

Brad_G
Contributor II

I've updated from 9.72 in our test environment to 9.81. One thing I've noticed is that I don't have the ability to add ("+" button) configuration profiles for OS X devices. I can edit existing profiles but no provision to add. I have that ability for the iOS side. Anyone else see this or is it just my environment?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

So far, I can't seem to add or remove Dock Items using Casper Remote. Anyone else?

scottb
Honored Contributor

@Brad_G - It's OK here on a Linux VM...

0343d0a463ee4a8caac2f43b22d8000e

mschuring
New Contributor III

We just upgraded from 9.73 to 9.81 to get support for iOS9. Installation went smoothly, but somewhere along the line our websites were turned off. Not sure where/how this happened and have not found a solution yet.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@Brad_G While I know it should not have been affected or changed, have you gone in to look at the privileges enabled for the account you log into your JSS with? Its possible the option to create Config profiles moved or changed in some way and just needs a check next to it to show up. Missing features after upgrades are kind of common because new or modified privileges don't get enabled automatically for accounts.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

@Brad_G I know the Config Profiles New button disappears if you have Enable Push Notifications unchecked in the Security Pane of Computer Management.

mschuring
New Contributor III

Just a heads up to anyone who is upgrading to 9.81 and running Mac Server 5.0.4. You will need to go in and disable the 8443 on your mac web server to allow the JSS to maintain its web presence.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Same here. Only issue was the port 8443 problem on OS X Server 5 that @mschuring mentioned. Beyond that it was quick and painless and everything is working fine today.

willpolley
New Contributor III

JDS also will not install with Server 5.

Apple changed config file names with 5 which JDS expects to be there with hard coded values.

JAMF is working to resolve.

jyergatian
Contributor

My Sandbox JDS on RHEL7 is non-functional after upgrading from 9.72 to 9.81. It syncs, files are present, but can't mount it. I'm still troubleshooting, but thank the tech gods for test environments.

brandon_white
New Contributor II

@mtruskowski and @mschuring, how did you disable port 8443 on OS X Server 5, to preserve your JSS web presence?

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

@brandon.white What worked for me (based on this blog post, which has some really good info about gotchas in server 5) was going in to /Library/Server/Web/Config/Proxy/apache_serviceproxy.conf and commenting out anything related to port 8443. After a reboot I was back up and running. This will break the calendar service, but we are not using it so no problem for us there.

brandon_white
New Contributor II

Thanks @mtruskowski, that worked perfectly for me as well.

jreinstedler
New Contributor III

Update on my previous post of install fail - Ended up just migrating the servers and db I adopted here to new Win2012 VMs - no issues and things are faster... so definitely a win there. Figured the other server was gonna go at some point (no clue who set it up, but it was a mess), so I'm actually glad the install failed and pushed me to move it all over.

TomH
New Contributor III

We had the same issue as @jreinstedler on one of a clustered servers, ended up cleaning the registry of all the TomCat key's which then after backing up the database & server files etc allowed us to do a clean install without issue and all is well.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Be aware that if you have a configuration profile that has Login Window preferences, if Auto Logout was not enabled before the 9.81 upgrade, it WILL be enabled after the upgrade (with a default of logging out users after 30 minutes of inactivity). I've verified this across 5 different production JSSes and make this change immediately post-upgrade (even before fixing any scripts or policies with the old jamf binary path)...

rcorbin
Contributor II

After seeing mostly good responses here I decided to upgrade. Went from 9.73 to 9.81yesterday. No issues on the upgrade part at all. It was a very quick install. Ran a few tests afterwards and all seemed fine. All seems good so far today.

kirkd
New Contributor II

Hi guys,
I recently upgraded to OS X Server 5.0.4 and JSS 9.81. Since I did this HTTP downloads are not working.

Os X Yosemite 10.10.5
Os X Server 5.0.4
JSS 9.81

I uninstalled/reinstalled OS X Server, commented out all references to "8443" in apache_serviceproxy.conf rebooted - nothing is fixing the problem.

I do notice that in "Overview" on Os X server I see Internet: Reachable at my ip, no services available. Under Websites The status says Users may not be able to access websites from the internet. Note that before the upgrades HTTP worked perfectly. Any thoughts?

rcorbin
Contributor II

@kirkd I would be inclined to go back to Server 4 if you still have a copy of it. I don't think you are going to gain anything by going to Server 5 on your JSS. You probably don't want to run Caching server or any other services on your JSS intense anyway. I'm actually still running my JSS on 10.9.5 and Server 3.2.2. I haven really seen anything to gain by upgrading it.

kirkd
New Contributor II

@rcorbin In retrospect yes I would have certainly avoided the Server upgrade. Unfortunately I am unable to locate Server 4 anywhere online. If I had it I would downgrade.

rcorbin
Contributor II

I wonder if this will be updated so you can grab Server 4 as well. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203137
But maybe they are not bothering because of the fact that Server 5 runs on 10.10 and 10.11 so maybe they don't feel like it is needed.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/11/01/downloading-server-app-for-mavericks-and-mountain-lion/

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Actually @kirkd I am having the same issue, but it happened after the upgrade to Server 5. Predated the 9.81 release. Curiously our other distribution points are working fine over HTTP, even the ones running Server 5. They handle the bulk of our packages so I have been putting off troubleshooting it (didn't even notice the problem at first). Curious to hear if anyone else has any ideas.

Not loving Server 5 I have to say.

kirkd
New Contributor II

@mtruskowski I worked with Kelly from Jamf for quite a long time yesterday, she really put forth the effort and got things working again.

Here's what we did, I can't say for sure which of these fixed the issue:

Re-installed Server 5 after uninstalling and deleting the server folder in /Library/Server
Edited /Library/Server/Web/Config/Proxy/apache_serviceproxy.conf to omit all references to 8443.
Re-created the symlink to Shared Items/CasperShare per the info in this link:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=116
In Server5 - Websites - Server Website (port 80) - Edit - Store site Files in Shared Items/CasperShare
Deleted one redirect that should not have been there, no idea how that showed up.
Who can access - Everyone
Enabled Allow Folder Listing under advanced settings.

After all that I was finally able to access packages/run policies via http. Server5 still shows the http website as Not reachable, this website is not available over the internet. Right now I am just pleased that http downloads are working again.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Thanks @kirkd! I will give that a try soon.

bollman
Contributor II

So, can it be confirmed that the problem with relocating the jamf binary on the clients is solved with 9.81? It's a little bit difficult to assess as it's random if clients work or not, with 9.8 only about 10% was affected.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I agree with @bollman about knowing if the problem is solved. We didn't upgrade to 9.8 due to this issue and I've been sitting on the sidelines with 9.73 waiting for confirmation that it is resolved in 9.81 before upgrading. Anyone at JAMF able to confirm? Paging @amanda.wulff. You always have great insight.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I had an issue with server 5.0.4 where it appears it enabled port 8443, even though web services is completely turned off.

We were once upon a time using the server with calendar and contacts which were using 8443, but this had been turned off for over a year, and no posed any issue in the past, but it was still listed under server > hostname> access tab. Which I have just removed altogether.

So far so good.

Now I am considering moving to el capitan, cause I am just crazy like that.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mpermann

It looks as though that issue may not be fixed in 9.81. We have D-009724 still open.

This does seem to still occur with a small percentage of machines in a very large environment in combination with heavy load on the network, however, so that is something to take into account. In smaller environments, it will likely not be an issue. The open defect is a very specific one.

The workaround for machines affected, if it does happen, is to run a sudo jamf manage (If SSH is enabled we can use Casper Remote to run a 'sudo jamf manage command' to repair the issue as well.), delete /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.checkForTasks.plist if it exists, and reboot the machine.

Grabbing the machine and pulling it back via Recon also seems to do the trick.

If you have additional questions on D-009724, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager either by phone, by e-mailing support@jamfsoftware.com, or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @amanda.wulff for the heads up. I knew I could count on you!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mpermann

I chatted with one of the people involved in working on D-009724, and have edited/updated my original comment.

If your environment doesn't fall into the specifics of a very large environment (50k+ devices) with an exceptionally heavy network load, the defect will very likely not affect you, so that is something to take into account when deciding whether to upgrade to 9.81.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@amanda.wulff What about a environment of 6000+ clients where students are opening/closing laptop lids all day long? Maybe our network load is considered heavy, hard to judge that.

We lost connectivity to 5% of our clients when we upgraded to 9.65 & really trying to avoid that when going to 9.81. Remotely running ssh commands isn't an option for us and doing a quickadd isn't practical.

I'll reach out to our TAM as I was thinking this drop off issue was addressed in the 9.81 release.