Assigning Admin Rights Big Sur

emadams
New Contributor III

I seem to be running into an issue with assigning administrator rights to specific users after the Big Sur upgrade. Before I could run a terminal command to assign rights like this:

dsconfigad -groups "Domain Admins,Enterprise Admins,Bakersfield Adult Tech Access,Prop Tech Access,IST Site Technicians,BAS Room 119 Admin" -alldomains enable -mobile enable

Or I could just go into the System Preferences and check the "Allow user to administer this computer" box, restart the computer and be on my way. So it seems something has changed. None of that works. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

emadams
New Contributor III

After speaking with the Apple engineering team, this is a known issue with no real ETA on a fix.

teodle
Contributor II

@emadams I just tested this with a local account on a test machine and will test with a directory account later, but it seems that local accounts can still be promoted. I'm running 11.2.1

emadams
New Contributor III

@teodle I have tried multiple times on multiple computer to make the change remotely and using the script I mention above and I still can't assign or promote a user as an admin. I am currently running 11.2.3 with no luck. The Apple engineer I spoke with walked me through both processes during the call. He said my terminal command was solid and that type of command is how he has done it as a work around to the System Preferences issue. Both didn't work with him and he said that it was a known issue.

emadams
New Contributor III

Is there a setting in the Configuration Profiles that would be causing this? It seems that I can do this on my personal Mac Mini at home but any of the workstations on my campus being managed by Jamf will not let me make this change.