Best way to prevent 10.10.2 from being installed?

znilsson
Contributor II

In terms of restricted software, is there a good way to block the installer process for 10.10.2 while still leaving 10.10 enabled? Want to prevent our end users from installing 10.10.2 through software update while we test it in our environment.

11 REPLIES 11

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

reposado
configure the clients to access your software update server.
dont enable the 10.10.2 update in your catalog

znilsson
Contributor II

@calumhunter Yeah that would probably work, but we're not running a software update server.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@znilsson, you can selectively disable updates client side via the softwareupdate binary.

The man page has an example, & with no SUS I'd suggest that route: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/softwareupdate....

(It's what we'll be doing soon as we're going to move from ASUS to caching).

znilsson
Contributor II

Thanks, I will see if I can disable the update that way.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Blocking the App Store, too? Anyone downloading Yosemite from Tuesday night onwards will get 10.10.2. Unless you have Restricted Software for Install OS X Yosemite.app...

softwareupdate -l will show the list of available updates

On a 10.10.1 system, the update is listed as:

OSXUpd10.10.2-10.10.2

sudo softwareupdate --ignore OSXUpd10.10.2

(omit the dash and version number)

will cause the update to be ignored.

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

when you've fully blessed/vetted 10.10.2.

znilsson
Contributor II

Thanks - is there anything different about the combo updater? We have a bunch of people on 10.10, and 10.10.2 should be showing up for them too in SU, will it also be called OSXUpd10.10.2 or is that only the name of the single tier 10.10.1 updater? Like for example would the updater for 10.10 be called OSXComboUpd10.10.2 or something like that?

I know we could be handling this better but just trust me it's a red tape issue, and I just need to block it for now.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

10.10 Macs will see the OS X Combo Updater from SUS (OSXUpdCombo10.10.2). 10.10.1 Macs will only see the delta updater in SUS (OSXUpd10.10.2)

ktappe
New Contributor III

>Anyone downloading Yosemite from Tuesday night onwards will get 10.10.2

Slightly OT: Unfortunately that's not always true. I downloaded Wednesday night and still got 10.10.1. This happens often; App Store will cache the path to the old URL and it's hard to get it to update to the new. Or not all the Apple servers get the propagation of the new version at the same time. Either way, when there's a new release it's a crapshoot which one you'll get if you're hot on the trigger. :-|

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@ktappe They had some issues with propagation on Tuesday, but should have been squared away by late Tuesday/early Wednesday for sure. Were you behind a Caching Server? What OS were you on? Seemed like a sure way to get the 10.10.2 installer was to download from Mavericks or Mountain Lion...

ktappe
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert. Downloading today did indeed yield 10.10.2. (Though it sure would be nice if App Store showed you that in advance, eh?)

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

What's a little bandwidth between old friends?