casper tools + real basic errors on launch

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

this might have been covered before, but i don't see a resolution anywhere.

i baked a new 10.8 netboot set that allows AD login to a full desktop environment and access to casper imaging, etc.

launching any of the casper guy tools throws realbasic errors. not helpful…

how does one resolve this? tools are current 8.6 release, though the server's still on 8.22 at the moment. i tried with both old and new tools and got the same results.

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is it perhaps a dyld library cache issue? The local Casper tools seem to be susceptible to those, if there is any mismatch. What does the error specifically say?

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

i don't think it's that. i'll fire it up and check again. the tools work fine when booted to a partition with the net boot set installed, just not from the net booted image itself.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

the apps throw a bunch of these. they all seem similar, related to drawing a window.

external image link

mm2270

So, this is just a standard Netboot OS, full operating system, Finder, etc, right? I haven't seen that error before to my knowledge. Not really sure what would cause that.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

right, it's basically a full desktop environment. i need to work out some other issues with it, but the error applies to using the casper tools only.

any jamf folks care to weigh in?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

You're in Diskless, yes?

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

yup. it's using a RAM disk right now, but i need to tweak it to avoid "out of disk" errors.

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

followup to this:

i re-re-downloaded the 8.6 tools, replaced the previous copy, and casper imaging worked fine.

i have no idea what was wrong with the earlier download. each dmg had a different creation date, so…

if you run into this, try grabbing a fresh copy.

also, the 8.6 tools used within a 10.8 netboot set to image a machine via jss running 8.22 seemed fine. it's probably "unsupported," but it worked.

mm2270

Third time's a charm?