Catalina Macs booting recovery partition after OS update

RedWings
Contributor

Anyone experiencing Catalina Macs booting to the recovery partition after installing a macOS update?

FYI we are using the Jamf built-in Software update policy.
6e41f34f458f461fa2869ba6af4a1b2a

16 REPLIES 16

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I just installed the Catalina update on my machine. Since the update requires a full shutdown rather than a reboot, it returns an error similar to these screens. A quick power off and power back on resolves it.

ec08cc904ba34031906d2d7d58b48a27

6832b4b7158c4308be819eeb28401d0e

hdsreid
Contributor III

Same issue with the same exact policy. It works fine when the user having the issue manually runs it himself from system preferences. Not really sure what is going on here, but I have temporarily disabled my SWU policy

macmanmk
Contributor

We had the same problem with the 2020-003 security update. I think the issue is with T2 equipped Macs, which as you note, need to be shut down instead of rebooted. The Software Update policy in Jamf doesn't properly shut down T2 Macs and they reboot into the state shown above.

With the help of others here, I found by abandoning the Software Update policy and using softwareupdate from the command line with the --restart flag, the problem is solved.

softwareupdate -ia --restart

hdsreid
Contributor III

@macmanmk interesting...the users complaining to me are on newer T2 Macs, while mine with no issues is a 2016 model.

Just to confirm, using that restart command will shut down the T2s?

jtrant
Valued Contributor

I use the softwareupdate binary to patch my Mac servers weekly and still ran into this issue on half my fleet over the weekend. They are all T2 and running Mojave 10.14.6.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

I believe the latest versions of Munki now direct users to System Preferences -> Software Update for Security Updates since softwareupdate no longer provides a reliable mechanism for installing them via scripted control.

hdsreid
Contributor III

is there an easy way to make a group for T2 devices? scope by 2018 model and newer? i do not see anything related to it in the inventory

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

@hdsreid Use an EA

!/bin/bash

Report T2 Chip presence in Recon

if system_profiler SPiBridgeDataType | grep "T2"; then tchip="Yes - T2"
fi

if system_profiler SPiBridgeDataType | grep "T1"; then tchip="Yes - T1 "
fi

echo "<result>$tchip</result>"

RedWings
Contributor

@HCSTech 1c231b6190504f8bb586bb601b641fb8
)

So I think I am doing something wrong. Sorry. The one thing I don't use and need to, are Extension Attributes.

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

This might be simpler...
Create a Computer EA with this script... (See Images as well)
Than check your inventory... (Remember to update inventory)
At that point, make a Smart Group or Advanced Search

!/bin/bash

Chip="$(system_profiler SPiBridgeDataType | awk -F: '/Model Name/ {print $NF}' | sed 's/^ *//')"

echo "<result>$Chip</result>"
ad5d437fa91d462fa3ca7c221221946b

48cd0c9597ee4d2a97ea9f3b39ab8bfb

hdsreid
Contributor III

@HCSTech I just made the EA in your latest post and set up my groups. So far so good, thanks for the detailed example!

RedWings
Contributor

@HCSTech Thanks! What should my search criteria be?
2352df20ad584007ba4577f1e3ca652b

HCSTech
Contributor
Contributor

Similar. I do Like T2...
Keep in mind that this will not be complete until Inventory

Vaid
New Contributor III

May be you guys need to check on the bridge os causing this

sburt
New Contributor III

The issue here is when bridgeOS is being updated and the update is calling for a shutdown instead of a restart. The Jamf policy softwareupdate binary does not support the shutdown flag, which causes the update to not apply. Apparently this fix was implemented in Jamf Pro 10.23.0 but I haven't yet tested it: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/7285/add-softwareupdate-restart-support

bp88's AppleSoftwareUpdate.sh takes this into consideration if you wanted to tailor it to your needs: https://github.com/bp88/JSS-Scripts/blob/master/AppleSoftwareUpdate.sh

hdsreid
Contributor III

Curious to hear feedback on the fix in 10.23.0. I get upgraded this weekend, hoping it fixes the issue