Checking in on internal network

david_modugno
New Contributor

is there a way to perform a search that would tell me the last time a device has checked in on our internal network?

I can get the devices that the last time they checked in was not on our network, but that does not tell me when the last time they did.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

jhuls
Contributor III

I don't know if there's something already logged for this. I would think that you could put something together using the network state change trigger in a policy to run a script that collects data as to what network the computer is on and then use an extension attribute to pull that data from the system. I've never tried it so there might be something I'm missing.

tomhastings
Contributor II

There is a search criteria for IP address. Set the value for your network segment, I have had success just using the first two groups (10.110.).
Create a smart group with IP and add Last check-in and you should have what you need.

david_modugno
New Contributor

wouldnt that just give me the last subnet they logged into... that will help, but will not tell me if a computer is only connecting outside of our network

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

For some reason, I can't seem to find the original source now, but the script below, developed by Joshua Roskos in Jamf Professional Services, may be adaptable to what you're looking for. You would, however, need to make some changes to the text that the script updates to the EA value for the machine. Maybe make it input a date value using the date command, like $(date +"%Y-%m-%d %T") If you make the EA use a date format, that would give you the ability to locate/search for machines that have checked in within x number of days, for example.

#!/bin/bash

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 
#
# Copyright (c) 2016 Jamf.  All rights reserved.
#
#       Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
#       modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#               * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#               * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#                 documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
#               * Neither the name of the Jamf nor the names of its contributors may be
#                 used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without 
#                 specific prior written permission.
#
#       THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
#       EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
#       WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
#       DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
#       DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
#       (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
#       LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
#       ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
#       (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
#       SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #  

# 
# This script was designed to be used in conjunction with an extension attribute in Jamf Pro
# that will be able to help us identify whether a macOS device is on the network or not.
#
# To accomplish this the following will be performed:
#           - Upon NetworkStateChange ping designated local server
#           - If a response is received, report Internal
#           - If no response is received, report External
#
# REQUIREMENTS:
#           - Jamf Pro
#           - macLocation Extension Attribute Created
#           - Policy created for this Script w/ a Trigger of NetworkStateChange
#           - Smart Computer Group to use for exluding off network computers from policies
#           - API User w/ the following permissions:
#               - Read & Update Permssion for Computers
#               - Read Permission for Computer Extension Attributes
#               - Update Permission for Users
#
# EXIT CODES:
#           0 - Everything is Successful
#           1 - Jamf Pro is not reachable
#           2 - Unable to update network location on Jamf Pro
#
# For more information, visit https://github.com/jamfprofessionalservices
#
#
# Written by: Joshua Roskos | Professional Services Engineer | Jamf
#
# Created On: October 24th, 2016
# Updated On: October 28th, 2016
# 

# VARIABLES

# URL of the Jamf Pro server (ie. https://jamf.acme.com:8443)
jamfProURL=$(defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist jss_url | sed 's//$//')

# API user account in Jamf Pro w/ Update permission
apiUser="$4"

# Password for above API user account
apiPass="$5"

# IP address of local server that is not available externally
localServer="$6"

# CHECK IF JAMF PRO IS AVAILABLE

echo ""
echo "=====Checking Network Location====="
echo "Checking if Jamf Pro is available..."
/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf checkJSSConnection -retry 30 > /dev/null 2>&1

if [[ $? != 0 ]]; then
    echo "   > Jamf Pro is unavailable..."
    echo "=====Exiting Check====="
    exit 1
else
    echo "   > Jamf Pro is available!"
fi

# CHECK IF EXTENSION ATTRIBUTE IS INSTALLED

# Name of extension Attribute in Jamf Pro
eaName="macLocation"
#eaID=$(/usr/bin/curl -H "Accept: application/xml" -sfku "${apiUser}:${apiPass}" "${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computerextensionattributes/name/${eaName}" | perl -lne 'BEGIN{undef $/} while (/<id>(.*?)</id>/sg){print $1}' )
eaID=$(/usr/bin/curl -H "Accept: application/xml" -sfku "${apiUser}:${apiPass}" "${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computerextensionattributes/name/${eaName}" | xpath '/computer_extension_attribute/id/text()')
# CHECK IF ${localServer} IS AVAILABLE

# Ping ${localServer} to see if available
echo "Checking if on the corporate network..."
ping -c 3 -o ${localServer} > /dev/null 2>&1

# Check if ping was successfull or not
if [[ $? != 0 ]]; then
    result="External"
    echo "   > Computer is currently outside the corporate network."
else
    result="Internal"
    echo "   > Computer is currently on the corporate network."
fi

# LOOKUP COMPUTER UUID

macUUID=$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'"' '/IOPlatformUUID/{print $4}')

#macSerial=$( system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Serial |  awk '{print $NF}' )
#jamfProId=$(/usr/bin/curl -s -u "${apiUser}":"${apiPass}" -H "Accept: application/xml" ${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computers/serialnumber/${macSerial}/subset/general | perl -lne 'BEGIN{undef $/} while (/<id>(.*?)</id>/sg){print $1}' | head -1 )

# SEND NETWORK LOCATION TO JAMF PRO SERVER

echo "Sending network location to Jamf Pro..."
/usr/bin/curl -sfku "${apiUser}":"${apiPass}" -X PUT -H "Content-Type: text/xml" -d "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <computer> <extension_attributes> <extension_attribute> <id>${eaID}</id> <value>${result}</value> </extension_attribute> </extension_attributes> </computer>" "${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computers/udid/${macUUID}" > /dev/null

if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then
    echo "   > Error updating network location on Jamf Pro."
    echo "=====Exiting Check====="
    exit 2
else
    echo "   > Successfully updated network location on Jamf Pro"
fi

echo "=====Completed Check Successfully====="

exit 0

If I can find the original github page where I ran across this, I'll update my post with that information.

demaioj
New Contributor III

If some one does come across this there have been changes to xpath in Big Sur. Took me awhile to figure out this issue. I couldn't find the script on github either.

Change this line

eaID=$(/usr/bin/curl -H "Accept: application/xml" -sfku "${apiUser}:${apiPass}" "${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computerextensionattributes/name/${eaName}" | xpath '/computer_extension_attribute/id/text()')

to this

#eaID=$(/usr/bin/curl -H "Accept: application/xml" -sfku "${apiUser}:${apiPass}" "${jamfProURL}/JSSResource/computerextensionattributes/name/${eaName}" | xmllint --xpath '/computer_extension_attribute/id/text()' -)