Disable "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins"

dwaterbury
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,
I'm having trouble finding any information in the discussions that is relatively new on this topic. Most seems older so I'm hoping someone else has figured it out. I have 1st and 2nd grade student MacBook Airs with High Sierra. I'm trying to Disable "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins" located at System Preferences-->Security & Privacy-->General Tab.

Also trying to Uncheck "Disable Automatic Login" as well.

Basically, I want these young students who don't know how to type to be able to get into their laptops without any delays.

I've tried Configuration Profiles (using the Login Window and Security & Privacy sections) on 2 test laptops and was unsuccessful when it came time to push the settings down.

Any advice on how to script or package this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

1 REPLY 1

sshort
Valued Contributor

@dwaterbury Configuration profiles will definitely enforce both of those settings, were you having issues pushing the profiles to the devices? Or they successfully installed, but the user saw no change? You can always use ProfileCreator to craft something specific, and then upload to Jamf. Just keep in mind that Apple will enforce the most restrictive setting, so if a pre-existing Login Window or security payload created in Jamf does not allow for automatic login (or enforces the password in screensaver) then installing a second profile that reverses those settings won't work.

Another couple of variables: do you have FileVault enabled? If so, the user will always encounter a password prompt after a reboot . Are the Macs bound to Active Directory? There could be a group policy enforcing these settings, overriding anything you change.