Enable Disabled iPad?

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,
is it possible to enable an iPad that has been disabled for a period of time because the user has entered the incorrect passcode multiple times?

I know that Casper can remove a passcode lock, but once the user has gone and disabled the iPad, can anything be done without having to resort to a full reset?

Cheers,
Chris.

16 REPLIES 16

nick_presko
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a resolution?

mbuckner
Contributor

We've never been able to get this working. Once the device is completely disabled, all we've ever been able to do is wipe the ipad and start over.

granthare
New Contributor

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing JAMF software can do to help with this issue.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

It's likely not JAMF's issue... its likely Apple's issue. Apple only opens certain features for MDM (which is why most MDMs offer the same features). It's probably that Apple won't allow MDMs to change the state of an iPad once its disabled. I'd bring it up with an Apple SE or submit feedback here http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html to recommend that MDMs be allowed to enable a disabled iPad.

anne_benson
New Contributor II

Yes! I know I'm late to the game, but I'm posting this in the event that someone needs it…
It is possible to reenable after multiple wrong passcode attempts. I got this from somewhere else, can't remember, but I've used it multiple times. Have not tried with iOS 7 yet…
--------------------------------
Too many passcode tries causes this to happen - the kids don't realize that after it has been disabled for 1 hour, they only get one more try to guess it correctly otherwise it is disabled.
Here is the fix (has to be done in the computer it was configured in):
‘iPad is disabled’ fix without resetting using iTunes

1. Configurator is useless in reactivating a locked iPad. You will only be able to completely reformat the iPad using Configurator. If that’s ok with you, go for it – otherwise don’t waste your time trying to figure it out.

2. Open iTunes with the iPad disconnected.

3. Connect the iPad to the computer and wait for it to show up in the devices section in iTunes.

4. Click on the iPad name when it appears and you will be given the option to restore a backup or setup as a new iPad (since it is locked).

5. Click ‘Setup as new iPad’ and then click restore.

6. The iPad will start backing up before it does the full restore and sync. CANCEL THE BACKUP IMMEDIATELY. You do this by clicking the small x in the status window in iTunes.

7. When the backup cancels, it immediately starts syncing – cancel this as well using the same small x in the iTunes status window.

8. The first stage in the restore process unlocks the iPad, you are basically just cancelling out the restore process as soon as it reactivates the iPad.

If done correctly, you will experience no data loss and the result will be a reactivated iPad. I have now tried this with about 5 iPads that were locked identically by students and each time it worked like a charm.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I can confirm it works just fine for iOS 7. You just need that initial Trust Relationship set up first, so do it on the Configurator Mac (as you mentioned).

nick_presko
New Contributor II

+1 cdenesha
worked today with 7.1 as well

nandruschak
New Contributor

This did not work for a device that was passcode locked.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Refreshing a Supervised device in Configurator wipes the passcode so you can get in. Although there was an Apple bug for awhile where it did not work for iOS 7.1.1.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with an iPad Supervised with the DEP program, that is locked and is also not in WiFi. I ordered a couple of items to try and make a wired connection..

chris

RWitt
New Contributor II

There used to be a trick back when sync stations were all the rage that when you connected it to iTunes and tried to restore it that if you would kick it out of the process right away it would allow you to get a disabled ipad back to normal.

The issue is now that we are using DEP and that means no more sync station to attempt that trick. I am stuck with a DEP iPad in disabled mode with no timer (just the connect to itunes error) and now I don't know what to do. I am probably going to have to reset the ipad which I hate doing.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I specifically asked about this at the Spring Apple Tech Update. You can restore from a backup or reset.

I only have one site so I plan on connecting every iPad to a laptop and pressing Trust as part of my deployment.

chris

RWitt
New Contributor II

So now that iPads are in DEP this issue rears its ugly head since an ipad no longer uses a computer to sync to configurator that first time. Supposedly it is in the iOS Framework since Miraki and Profile Manager can send a code to unlock the device. Anyone know if Casper has this yet? What is everyone doing now with this with the changes to DEP?

thanks
Ryan

mhayden
New Contributor III

This no longer works in iOS9.

Not applicable

Actually, there is no official method that can enable a disabled iPad without restoring the device. If you have a backup on iTunes or iCloud, you can try either of them to restore the iPad to enable it. Or using a special unlocking program is also workable when iTunes and iCloud can not work well. My colleague has tried such a program named Joyoshare iPasscode Unlocker to enable his locked iPad Air. He says this tool is so powerful that his locked device is unlocked within just 3 minutes. Of course, if iTunes or iCloud can work you out, you need not use such a third-party unlocking tool.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

You could also try putting a device into DFU mode, then using the Revive command on an Apple Configurator machine.

j_carroll
New Contributor III

I do this by hooking the iPad up to ethernet and doing a "Clear Passcode". Enabled the iPad straight away.