Erase Install error, why?

Randydid
Contributor II

Hello JN,

I am trying to get ready for our fall 2020 semester roll-out here at CU.

I am testing the Graham Pugh Erase install script over at Github. My policy fires, downloads the .py script and the specified macOS version 10.15.4.

It stop with the following and does not erase and install. My Parameter Flags are: 4 --erase and 5 --version=10.15.4

What am I missing?

TIA,

/randy

Working around a very dumb Apple bug in a package
postinstall script that fails to correctly target
the Install macOS.app when installed to a volume
other than the current boot volume.
Please file feedback with Apple!

Product downloaded and installed to /Library/Management/erase-install/Install_macOS_10.15.4-19E287.sparseimage [run_installinstallmacos] Mounting sparse disk image to identify installer app.
/dev/disk3 GUID_partition_scheme /dev/disk3s1 EFI /dev/disk3s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Install_macOS_10.15.4-19E287 1 [erase-install] 'jamfHelper' ended

[erase-install] WARNING! Running /Volumes/Install_macOS_10.15.4-19E287 1/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app with eraseinstall option

[free_space_check] OK - 904013276 KB free disk space detected
/Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp/MacOS Erase Install: line 626: 1639 Terminated: 15 "$jamfHelper" -windowType hud -windowPosition ul -title "${!jh_dl_title}" -alignHeading center -alignDescription left -description "${!jh_dl_desc}" -lockHUD -icon "$jh_dl_icon" -iconSize 100 [erase-install] Opening jamfHelper full screen message (language=en)
/Library/Application Support/JAMF/tmp/MacOS Erase Install: line 697: 1913 Killed: 9 "$installmacOSApp/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" "${install_args[@]}" --agreetolicense --nointeraction "${install_package_list[@]}" [erase-install] 'jamfHelper' ended

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Randydid
Contributor II

Never-mind. I think I solved it. I forgot to exclude my test iMac from our Restricted software policy blocking Catalina upgrades....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Randydid
Contributor II

Never-mind. I think I solved it. I forgot to exclude my test iMac from our Restricted software policy blocking Catalina upgrades....

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Randydid If you block the process InstallAssistant rather than Install macOS Catalina.app you'll be able to call startosinstall via a policy without triggering the Restricted Software blacklist

Randydid
Contributor II

@sdagley Thanks for the tip. I will give that a shot when I nuke and pave it next!

Thanks!

/randy

daniel_ross
Contributor III

Were you able to make any progress with this? I'm running into an issue that it nearly gets done and then tries to reboot and says failed to reboot.

JRodgers17
New Contributor III

@Randydid I am currently trying to implement the eraseinstall script into our environment. I am new to Mac management. I was wondering how you were able to specify the certain version of OS you wanted to download? I am unsure what I need to change in the script in order to install Big Sur 11.6. I automatically get Monterey and we have not tested enough with Monterey to move forward with it. Please let me know what you think, thanks! 

Hi James,

When I get to the office today I will get some links and screen shots of
how we do it here at CU Boulder. Stay tuned.

/randy