Get version of Microsoft Autoupdate.app into inventory listings

mccallister
Contributor

Recon does not include Microsoft AutoUpdate.app when it collects inventory on macs. How do I get JAMF to include that during recon? I would like to utilize the command line tools available in version 3.18 of autoupdate, but I need to verify that version exists.

6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

You can create an Extension Attribute. Or you can update your inventory scanning to look at the directory where Microsoft AutoUpdate.app exists.

gb3
New Contributor III

If you track it with Patch Management that will do a lot of the work for you.

Chris_Tavenner
New Contributor II

Here is the extension attribute for Autoupdater, after you create it you can make smartgroup to key off of.

!/bin/sh

MAUVers=$(defaults read /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app/Contents/Info CFBundleVersion)

echo "<result>$MAUVers</result>"

mccallister
Contributor

Thanks Chris! I got it added as an attribute and it is being populated as macs update their inventory.

jason_bracy
Contributor III

You can also add it to your inventory collection by going to Settings --> Computer Inventory Collection --> Software --> Applications (or: https://jss.yourcompany.com:8443/inventoryCollection.html ) and adding a custom path: "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0". Once you add that path it will show up in the inventory listing for the computer.

chelm
New Contributor III

@jason_bracy wrote:

You can also add it to your inventory collection by going to Settings --> Computer Inventory Collection --> Software --> Applications (or: https://jss.yourcompany.com:8443/inventoryCollection.html ) and adding a custom path: "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0". Once you add that path it will show up in the inventory listing for the computer.

This produces the following server error on 10.30.3.  

An error occurred while saving the changes

See JAMFSoftwareServer.log for more details

I have tried on our test and prod environments.