Help with Apple TV

Thomas_Eckler
New Contributor II

So I enrolled a test Apple TV... After I confirmed that it received all of the desired configuration profiles, I sent a wipe command to it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the screen go black so I then deleted its record from the JSS.

With the screen black, the Apple TV sat there with no light on the front of it. After 2 or 3 minutes I got impatient and unplugged it - I thought it would have rebooted after the wipe.

When I reconnected the power cable, I see that it has my “Conference Room Display” payload still on it, which means it’s still managed and never got the wipe command from the JSS!
The “Conference Room Display” restriction does not allow me to get to the main tvOS screen so I can perform a system reset. To make matters worse, I can’t send any management commands to it because it’s no longer in the JSS!

Is there any magic command I can do to this thing to get it back to factory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Elof
New Contributor

I was in the same situation a few months ago... Apparently if you restart (unplug cable) the device 3-5 times it will go into recovery mode and you can reset it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Thomas_Eckler
New Contributor II

I should mention that this is an Apple TV 4k, so there are no USB connections, just Power, Ethernet, and HDMI.

Elof
New Contributor

I was in the same situation a few months ago... Apparently if you restart (unplug cable) the device 3-5 times it will go into recovery mode and you can reset it.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Apple Configurator can still work with 4K models so you can restore them, etc. Steps to connect are in the Apple Support article below.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208124

dbrisser
New Contributor II

Thanks Elof worked like a charm!

One note: You need to let the apple tv fully boot up into the conference room mode each time before unplugging it again.

marsan
New Contributor

Great tip!
Thank you. I fell into the same trap...deleted an enrolled AppleTV (because I could not figure out how to rename it).