Hide Mojave Jan 2020 Security Update

ICT-JPC
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am attempting to temporarily hide the latest Mojave Security Update. Previously I have been able to do this with the following in Terminal:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2019-001"

However I am attempting to replace the 2019 with 2020 and it seems to accept this as a valid command, however the update still appears.

I was wondering if anyone had maybe come across this at all?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

seansb
New Contributor III

Ah, yeah. Apple's softwareupdate binary (especially the --ignore) is temperamental and extremely picky.

This should do the trick:

softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update "

Make sure there is a trailing space after update.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

seansb
New Contributor III

I don't believe that's the name of the software update for Mojave. I believe it's "Security Update -10.14.6".

ICT-JPC
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried that, as part of the command:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update -10.14.6"

I have also applied this with the command:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Safari13.0.5MojaveAuto"

I have noticed that the Safari has stopped prompting to install, but the Security Update is still present, this is where I am stuck and started looking if there might be another incarnation.

seansb
New Contributor III

Ah, yeah. Apple's softwareupdate binary (especially the --ignore) is temperamental and extremely picky.

This should do the trick:

softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update "

Make sure there is a trailing space after update.

diradmin
Contributor II

jschank
Contributor

Can I get assistance with Mojave Security Update 2020-002? I tried sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update " but it does not remove the update. Update still shows with a red 1 in system preferences and still available to update.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@seansb softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update " isn't working for me (yes, I did include the space). Can you verify it's actually working for you?

@jschank After posting the question in the MacAdmin Slack #mojave channel the --ignore incantation for Security Update 2020-002 that was found to work is softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2020-002"

jschank
Contributor

@sdagley Thanks for the update.