High Sierra in Self Service

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Has anyone setup High Sierra in Self Service? using the method of dragging the .app into Casper Admin ? then have a policy cache the installer, then a second policy to install the cached installer?

is it working?

9 REPLIES 9

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

daniel_behan
Contributor III

I was able to simply add the word High before all entries for Sierra from the script here: https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade

eDooku
New Contributor III

Dragging the installer to Casper Admin does not work. For us, it has never worked to do that. Our solution is to have Composer make a DMG (or PKG, if you prefer) of the Installer placed in /Applications, and have a script launching the installer after it has been installed via Self Service. In our case, this requires user feedback, but we are trying to empower the user anyway...

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@daniel.behan what about having filevault encrypted machines? was it able to authenticate on its own to continue installation or did the user have to authenticate? (we have laptops encrypted and desktop not encrypted)

did you use composer to package the installer app? did you choose dmg or pkg ?

in the script, for USER VARIABLES $6 did you create a seperate policy (custom trigger) that places the macos high sierra installer.app (packaged earlier in composer) in the /Applications folder of the computer being upgraded?

or did you create just 1 policy that does this upgrade, with the script and macos high sierra installer.app in the 1 policy?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@daniel.behan I have this working with 2 policies

policy 1 - is the script
policy 2 - is the Install macOS High Sierra.app custom event that places the installer app in /Applications

but the user gets prompted that it needs to download the installer, once they click OK it then calls the custom event and the installer app gets placed in /Applications and the script continues

this is for upgrading from existing OS, but not sure if i'll use it. just testing

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@tcandela My upgrade script supports it on computers running 10.12: https://babodee.wordpress.com/2017/09/26/update-to-macos-upgrade-script/

With 10.11, you will need to comment out the relevant FV authenticated restart line. Not sure if that helps you or not.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

High Sierra is working in early testing stages for us. We have the users use Self Service. We do not Caches the installer for them.

The only issue I am seeing is that it does not close self service. The user has to close self service. For us we use the simplest method that is successful.

a_simmons
Contributor II

@CSHGreenwich - try adding killall "Self Service" at the end of your script