how to make local documents downloads read only

ACummins
New Contributor

We have an issue that we have set all our macs t 10.12.6 and none of the side bar redirects currently out work. So as a work round we want to set local documents and downloads to read only so students have to save to their network area. Can any body advise on this?

7 REPLIES 7

Asnyder
Contributor III

chmod -v -R 444 "/Users/$3/Documents"

I think. This makes it read only for everyone.

ACummins
New Contributor

Could that be put into a script? if it was in a script would it be a run once or on every login?

Asnyder
Contributor III

It would only need to be run once. Yes it could be in a script. Use This as a reference.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Why not create a sym link? Making it read only allows the owner to still change permissions and they will own those folders.

Asnyder
Contributor III

Would creating a sym link copy everything already in their folders? I don't know much about how they work but that's probably the better option.

ACummins
New Contributor

I would try symlink but every script i have tried doesnt seem to work with 10.12.6 symnlink would be ideal for us.

ACummins
New Contributor

I have tried this script but it doesnt seem to grab the network account. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/20473/mapping-the-active-directory-home-folder-to-the-mac-home-folder

The very last script as we run a windows 7 and above environment. Should the volumes/net not be a volume/user$ or so it redirects to the user account? Any help would be massively appreciated.