iCloud restore

anonymoez
New Contributor

I have a user that made an iCloud backup before wiping his iPhone 12 and reinstalling it. During the following setup the device was enrolled into Jamf (DEP + prestage). He also restored the iCloud backup and everything seemed to work ok. I can see it was enrolled 9/7/22 0907 am and last inventory update was 9/7/22 0908 am. Since then the iPhone doesn't communicate with Jamf anymore.

It's running iOS 15.0, Jamf is v10.39.1. the device is still managed and supervised.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@anonymoez Restoring an iCloud Backup will remove the MDM profile installed when the user enrolled on 9/7/22 0907 and replace it with the one from the backup which will no longer match the device in your JSS. You'll need them to wipe the device and re-enroll to restore communication - and tell them not to restore from the backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@anonymoez Restoring an iCloud Backup will remove the MDM profile installed when the user enrolled on 9/7/22 0907 and replace it with the one from the backup which will no longer match the device in your JSS. You'll need them to wipe the device and re-enroll to restore communication - and tell them not to restore from the backup.

Thanks for this. So I guess the thing to do to avoid this is to remove the "Apps & Data" portion of the Setup Assistant in the PreStage Enrollment configuration, to force "Don't Transfer Apps & Data"?

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Recently, I had a user who enrolled a new iPhone 12 into Jamf (DEP + prestage) and chose to restore from iCloud Backup during the Welcome Enrollment Screens. It checks into Jamf okay.

So maybe ensure he selects iCloud Restore during the Welcome/DEP screens?