Impact of AD upgrade from 2003 to 2012

jagress
New Contributor III

Hi folks,

We are going to upgrade our AD domain from 2003 to 2012 in a parallel migration (so adding new domain controllers and removing old ones rather than upgrading existing DCs). I'm curious if anyone has encountered any Mac authentication issues after doing such an upgrade? Or if anyone has 2012-specific Mac auth experiences that would be useful to hear about? We're using the Apple AD plugin in OS X.

I'm guessing - and hoping! - most people will say that AD is AD as far as the Mac goes :)

Thanks!

Jason

2 REPLIES 2

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

I haven't been involved in the migration personally but have seen it from the Mac side. I have had various versions of OS X up to 10.10 working with AD on 2012 R2. I have also had some horrible issues with performance and in some cases (particularly with 10.10), just not binding at all. In some cases we've had to use the Centrify plugin which is a shame.

I would just recommend testing in the new 2012 domain as early as possible so you have time to work through any issues that might appear.

andrew
New Contributor

Thank you for posting this.

The school I work at plans on performing the same upgrade over the summer. I am definitely interested to hear how things go.