Import Root and Intermediate Certs

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I revised the script importCACert.sh from the JAMF Resource Kit in order to build a package that installed both the Root and Intermediate Certs, and always trusted the root.

```

!/bin/sh

I left out the top end of Nick's Script

########################################################################################

# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS

########################################################################################

HARDCODED VALUES ARE SET HERE

caCertLocation="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/YourRoot.cer" #Example: "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/CompanyCA.pem"

edited by lsachs to add intermediate cert#

caIntCertLocation="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/YourIntermediate.cer" #Example: "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/CompanyCA.pem"

CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "caCertLocation"

if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$caCertLocation" == "" ];then caCertLocation=$4
fi

CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 5 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "caIntCertLocation"

if [ "$5" != "" ] && [ "$caIntCertLocation" == "" ];then caIntCertLocation=$5
fi

# SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE

OS=/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}'

if [ "$caCertLocation" == "" ] || [ ! -f "$caCertLocation" ]; then echo "Error: No value was specified for the caCertLocation variable or the file does not exist. Please specify a value for the variable or ensure that you are running this script after installing the certificate." exit 1
fi

if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then echo "Importing CA Cert..." /usr/bin/certtool i "$caCertLocation" v k=/System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors
else echo "Importing CA Cert..." /usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain "$caCertLocation"
fi

new section for intermediate cert####

if [ "$caIntCertLocation" == "" ] || [ ! -f "$caIntCertLocation" ]; then echo "Error: No value was specified for the caIntCertLocation variable or the file does not exist. Please specify a value for the variable or ensure that you are running this script after installing the certificate." exit 1
fi

if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then echo "Importing CA Cert..." /usr/bin/certtool i "$caIntCertLocation" v k=/System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors
else echo "Importing CA Intermediate Cert…" /usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r unspecified -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain "$caIntCertLocation"
fi
```

8 REPLIES 8

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing. Your script worked for me with our Internal Root CA and Internal Issuing CA. The use of "unspecified" was the trick I needed.

Jason

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Is an unspecified trust setting the desired result?

If you want the intermediate to be trusted, use trustAsRoot instead of unspecified.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I am stumbling a bit in this area. I had used "trustRoot" for the Internal Issuing CA and that wasn't working correctly. I see in the man for security there is trustRoot and trustAsRoot. I'll look up the meaning and I'll give that a try tomorrow.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

@Nick

I hope you're not suggesting to explicitly trust your Intermediate certificate...

@Jason

I believe you want TrustAsRoot

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Jared,

I got an e-mail about your reply before it was edited :P

We trust our internal root ca cert, we then have an intermediary for out MS Lync Server.. unless i implicity trust this lync cert for SSL the client will not connect.

Whoever, the root ca is fully trusted.. so i'm guessing something is wrong??

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi Ben-

So you saw my self editing in-process. Thought it was a little "throat jump down-y" so I walked it back.

So yeah as my original reply stated, you never want to trust an intermediate cert. Question though, you have an intermediate cert for your Lync server? Wouldn't you have a server cert? Or, do you mean that the Lync server cert was issued by your intermediate?

Let's get a look at what your certificate chain is first before we all get confused.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

yep ignore me & sorry OP for thread stealing.. i need to check what it is i'm seeing & get the right terminology before i ask the question in my own thread..

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Ben hit me off list.

jared dot nichols at fmr dot com