Installing files into ~/Applications

makander
Contributor

I've been speaking to a colleague at another company about how they deal with installing applications that needs to be updated often. They manually add a /Applications folder under the users home folder and then install the application in there. They do this manually with ARD.

To me it sounds awesome not having to run around like a headless chick to update stuff like Spotify and instead just let the user have permission to do so without giving them admin access to the entire machine.

My problem is that I don't know how to automate this and deploy it with Self-Service. Do you have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kitzy
Contributor III

When building your packages, install the applications to ~/Applications instead of /Applications. Make sure to turn on Fill Existing Users for the package, then deploy to your users. This will automatically create that ~/Applications folder for you if it doesn't already exist, and it will place the application within it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you just talking about adding the ~/Applications folder, or do you mean the process of installing those apps in the User's home Applications folder?

If you can clarify what it is you want to do, I'm practically 100% certain someone can help you get there.

makander
Contributor

I mean having an automatic process for:

1. Creating the ~/Application folder
  2. Having the application being installed into that folder.

Instead of having to use ARD to create the folder then after that installing the application into that folder.

EDIT: Oh.. seems like did a couple of double posts there. Shame there isn't a "Delete" button. Sorry about that.

kitzy
Contributor III

When building your packages, install the applications to ~/Applications instead of /Applications. Make sure to turn on Fill Existing Users for the package, then deploy to your users. This will automatically create that ~/Applications folder for you if it doesn't already exist, and it will place the application within it.

talkingmoose

While this is possible, is it worth your time? Users are perfectly capable of creating their own ~/Applications folders and downloading whatever software they choose. So long as the application doesn't require administrator access to run (most drag-and-drop apps don't) then let them handle it themselves.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If you have a workflow in place, simply wrap the application and provide using Self Service or push out updates.

When an update is released, put it up on Self Service as well (whether a patch or a fullly updated app).

Self Service = empowers users = less PITA for you. ;)

Policies = empowers you = less PITA for users. :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

makander
Contributor

I've tried a couple of different methods now so far I've found the easiest one to be the one John suggested. I might create a ~/Applications folder in User Templates on our next base image though.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)