iOS version of Mac OS login hook?

aswain
New Contributor II

Hi

We have a set of "Hot swap" ipads that our users can borrow if their device is unavailable. I'd like to know which users have these devices. My thoughts were to force the user to enter their name to unlock the device and have that name text stored in an existing or extension attribute.

It looks like the existing login/logout hook functionality for MacOS does something like this. Does anyone know of a way of doing it on an iOS device?

3 REPLIES 3

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

iOS is definitely different than the Mac in this case. I can't think of a way to do this on the iPad that is collectible in the JSS. I thought of the name but of course the name of the iPad can be changed. If you want to use the JSS to track this then I suggest manually documenting this for that device record, perhaps in an Extension Attribute called NOTES or CHECKED OUT TO. Some school districts utilize their library book system to check out the loaner iPads.

aswain
New Contributor II

Thanks @cdenesha . We are a utility company and the hotswaps are free to pick up 24/7 so there is not always someone here to administer the handover. A paper signout form is only good if the users signs it.... I'll see whether there is any XCODE widgets that I could bend to suit what I want to do.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@aswain Perhaps.. if you could set up a kiosk where they are required to put in their name, you could leverage the API to send data to the mobile device's record (put a bar code on the iPad).