iPad Naming Convention in Schools

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I'm curious to see how other K12 techs name their iPads. Do you put something in the name to identify its location/school? How do you differentiate between staff and student iPads? Do you create Smart Groups in the JSS based on the iPad names? I know there's not a way to lock down the name field so kids could change the name...

Thanks!
~Joe

10 REPLIES 10

Jordan
New Contributor II

All of our classroom devices have a number usually 1-30 for the teacher's own reference (they usually assign a number to each student). All device names start with this number followed by a district specific asset tag number, so they are easily sortable and identifiable by the teacher in iTunes.

We also have numbered wallpaper configured on all devices to match the device number and make it easier for kids to find their assigned iPad.

e.g.:

01-XXXXX
02-XXXXX
03-XXXXX

Hope that helps!

mbuckner
Contributor

We have 1-to-1 ipads k-8. We didn't worry about giving the ipads names because I can't enforce them; the students can change the name any time they want, and the name doesn't play a roll in managing them. We did check them out to students through configurator, though. We set the lock screen to have the student's name on it, but that only lasts until the student changes the lock screen.

lday
New Contributor

For our staff, we use <Building> Staff iPad <Asset #> <User first initial and last name>.

We have several buildings in the district. By starting with the building, traveling staff members know which Configurator to check in/check out their iPad.

I have a Smart Group set up in the JAMF server that takes all iPads with the words "Staff iPad" in the name and pushes the staff wireless credentials to them. If they change "Staff iPad", they don't have staff wireless access - just the limited guest wireless.

Asset number and user name are helpful for identification. When I set up the supervised user in Configurator, I give the user the same name as their iPad. When they are checking out an iPad, they match up the Configurator and iPad names and know they've got the right one. The lock screen includes user name and a photo.

We are not 1:1 for students, but for the carts of student iPads, the naming scheme is basically the same - <Building> Student iPad <Asset #>. The words "Student iPad" in the name will trigger enrollment in a JAMF Smart Group that pushes the student network credentials to the iPad.

Morka
New Contributor

We used standardized name for each iPad but it does nota make sense - name can be changed any time by user.

To make sure that i can identify students and teachers correctly.
I use mix of AD hooks and profiles (student and teacher)

Each ipad user has AD account with some basic information (email, name, Grade (room in AD), Department (Primary School, Middle School).
Each iPad has special profile Student or Teacher installed.

I set up smart groups which use data from profiles and AD.

Artur

mfennelly
New Contributor III

We use the username which is FirstNameLastNameGradYear-iPad-assettag

But we also have the iPad assigned to their directory record which includes their email address. the students have a different domain than faculty and staff, so we separate on the domain.

kcuccia
New Contributor

We have 27 buildings with three + classes each. EAch class is assigned K1, K2, K3, etc. All K1 range from 1 - 6, K2 is 7 - 12, K3 is 13 - 18. We then use the following format: blg number - class - iPad # - IP. (IP = iPad so we can tell the difference between the ipads and laptops in the classrooms) for example: 09-k2-04-IP / 24-K3-15-IP.

192casper
New Contributor

we are going to name them by the student ID since it is unique and easy to track who has which one...

AndyBeaver
Contributor II

We also named our 1:1/staff iPads using the student ID, and the three letter building abbreviation. "mtw-303123" I also used configuration profiles that specify the name of the building and whether it is a teacher or student, so that I could smart group them by profile name.Good luck keeping any sort of naming convention for those things, I am sure you will get some laughs out what the kids rename their devices.

RWitt
New Contributor II

For our 1:1 we use.
HS (Building) - TR (Teacher or ST for ST) 11(year)-Six digit barcode)
HS-ST11-xxxxxx
or
HS-TR-Lastname(We use our Teachers last name instead of the barcode for Teachers).

Our other buildings simply get a two letter building name MS-2(cartnumber)-1-30. This second convention is simply for our carts in the other buildings.

Mscheid
New Contributor III

We use Grade Asset # - First Last Name
5th2222-joesmith

This way I can search for the device by either the asset # or the student. It has been very helpful. We do not, however, rely on the naming convention for any of our scoping, to easy to change. For this we are using the location fields in casper applied to the device via AD integration using URL enrollment of Enrollment profiles via configurator. This way we control the scoping and it can't be changed!