Login Items

kink80
New Contributor

When I set a Login Item in the Items area within a Configuration Profile and save it it disappears when I go back into the setting. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? Running JSS 8.6.

23 REPLIES 23

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

YES!!! same here with 8.6, BUT the profiles show the stuff?

kink80
New Contributor

If I just look at the Configuration Profiles and Login Items it shows 1 payload configured but when I click on Login Items there is no items shown.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Confirmed. Anything I add in under the Login Items section of a profile doesn't appear to be saved, at least not in the graphical sense. It shows 1 payload configured, but there is nothing there. Seems like a bug to me.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I can't get Configuration Profiles to do anything useful. They show up in System Preferences but none of the payloads seem to be implemented.

bentoms

@matt, are you using just the "standard" ones? or one's you're created outside of the jss?

Matt
Valued Contributor

Standard ones, like the Gatekeeper controls.

ernstcs
Contributor III

So far I've been using options that come in JSS 8.6 for Configuration Profiles with 10.8 and they appear to be working to me. Successfully added wireless profile and settings for gatekeeper. Does anything appear in your computers inventory records under management history about the status of a deployed payload?

Matt
Valued Contributor

They have the payloads. I see the configuration profiles loaded but none of the settings apply.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Just because the payload is there doesn't mean it applied properly. Did you verify what your JSS web inventory record stated? With the MDM Enrollment profile in System Preferences are they in green saying "verified?"

Matt
Valued Contributor

Of course!!! It worked for the first time ever. Post imaging it should kick off automatically right? Like during Login settings will apply or do you need to launch it with a JAMF Verb post imaging?

quedayone
Contributor

I found this today as well. I also noticed that when I did this, the ManagedClient process starts eating up 80% -100% of CPU on scoped computers until I removed the Profile.

bentoms

I've pinged some screenshots to support as well as my profiles..

I'm started to think that we should use Config profiles for only what they show in the GUI.. anything outside = MCX (still) or scripts/launch agents...

kink80
New Contributor

My contact at JAMF has stated that he is seeing this behavior in his environment as well and that he is going to follow up with the development team. I will post any information I get here.

Munkeee
New Contributor III

Any further news on this? I'm running 8.6.1, but I'm seeing the same behavior with login items. One item is working, one is not. It worked when I first built the profile. But has since stopped. On the JSS, if I go into the configuration profile, the items (they are Applications, but I added them as "Items") show under Applications and the path to the app is blank. Everything looks normal on the client in the Profiles section. It shows both apps and locations. However, going into the login items section of a user account will show the working application and a "Unknown" application (the application that is not working). I did check the login application when it first worked and all was good. If I rebuild it all I get it to work, but it then does the same thing again.

Cranappras

Any update on this? We have a few items / applications that we set to launch on login, but as soon as you save, it moves the item up to the Applications section and it displays as a blank entry. Is there a way to edit the pull down list of applications so that you can add custom entries and not have to worry about typing them into the Items section?

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

I can't say I've seen the exact behavior, however I have seen other settings within the Configuration Profiles dialog that "don't stick" when you leave the view. For example, "Use Network Authentication" in a Network payload for 802.1X auth. I suggest you report it to JAMF support if you haven't.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Bens correct i think. Success however has been made with Tim Suttons mcxtoprofile :)

Login items i script them and use them in policies, job done.

AlanSmith
Contributor

I'm seeing the same behaviour with setting non-Apple applications as login items in the 'items' section. They get moved to the Applications section but are blanked!!

How are we supposed to launch 3rd party apps at login via profile config?

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

McxToProfile!

bruth85
New Contributor III

Old post but thought I would update. You need to add the trailing / after .app for example /Applications/Chat.app/ then it doesn't disappear. What I am running into though is that while the app launches for a local account it wont launch for a Mobile profile.

aley
New Contributor

The bug is still present in Jamf Pro 10.9.

If a macOS Configuration Profile with a "Login Items" payload is created and an "Item" is added for an app (e.g. /Applications/Firefox.app), the respective entry is invisible after clicking "Save". However, it is still saved and correctly applied when the Configuration Profile is deployed.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

(nm)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Beginning with DisplayLink 1.4 the "autostart" function can be managed using defaults (Configuration Profile).

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1964953-enabling-disabling-displaylink-manage...

--
https://donmontalvo.com