Managed Distribution and AppleID Change

mschuring
New Contributor III

We have had a few students that have, for various reasons, switched appleID's this year after entering into the Managed distribution agreement. This has become quite problematic for us, in that the only way we can access the apps that are assigned to the user are by logging out of the ID they are supposed to be using, logging into their old id, downloading the app and then going back to the correct appleID. Are there any other work arounds for this?
I have tried removing them from the scope, removing all instances of them receiving apps and re-inviting them, but continue to get the message that the "user is already associated"

Please help!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Besides the steps you mentioned, you must also remove the user under the 'users' tab. No changes are affected until you do that.

View solution in original post

gskibum
Contributor III

I recently encountered a similar situation.

So far the best I have come up with (with the help of JAMF support) is to remove the user from the JSS. But that also requires removing their devices. And naturally a reenroll of those devices. Then resubmit a VPP invitation.

mschuring
New Contributor III

Here are the steps that I have used to successfully re-assign a vpp invitation for a user.

1) Search for the user under mobile devices, and un-assign the user to their devices
2) Exclude the user from all VPP managed distribution assignments
3) Search for the user under the "Users" tab and choose to "delete" the user. a) There is a nice feature in the delete command which lists all assignments preventing a user being deleted.
4) ?After the deletion has taken place, search for their mobile device and re-assign them to their device. a) This creates a new account for them in the JSS, pulling their data from your LDAP connection b) This is what will allow a new agreement between the user and Apple under their new Apple ID.
5) Send the user a new VPP invitation, Under the "Users" tab a) Accept the VPP invitation on the mobile device under the new Apple ID.
6) Remove all of the exclusions that were added in step 2
7) Go to the App Store and download all of the managed distribution apps that have been newly assigned.

3 REPLIES 3

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Besides the steps you mentioned, you must also remove the user under the 'users' tab. No changes are affected until you do that.

gskibum
Contributor III

I recently encountered a similar situation.

So far the best I have come up with (with the help of JAMF support) is to remove the user from the JSS. But that also requires removing their devices. And naturally a reenroll of those devices. Then resubmit a VPP invitation.

mschuring
New Contributor III

Here are the steps that I have used to successfully re-assign a vpp invitation for a user.

1) Search for the user under mobile devices, and un-assign the user to their devices
2) Exclude the user from all VPP managed distribution assignments
3) Search for the user under the "Users" tab and choose to "delete" the user. a) There is a nice feature in the delete command which lists all assignments preventing a user being deleted.
4) ?After the deletion has taken place, search for their mobile device and re-assign them to their device. a) This creates a new account for them in the JSS, pulling their data from your LDAP connection b) This is what will allow a new agreement between the user and Apple under their new Apple ID.
5) Send the user a new VPP invitation, Under the "Users" tab a) Accept the VPP invitation on the mobile device under the new Apple ID.
6) Remove all of the exclusions that were added in step 2
7) Go to the App Store and download all of the managed distribution apps that have been newly assigned.