Mass Update iOS issue

Quentin25
New Contributor II

Hello,

Since the publication of latest iOS update (12.0.1) i can't send command to update iOS version on my iPads.

My version of Jamf is 1.7.0,

Some people have this problem too ?

Quentin Faivre

38 REPLIES 38

cbutler
New Contributor

Having the same issue here. Running version 10.7.1-t1536934276. No matter how many or few devices are selected, system does nothing when trying to issue iOS update command.

sharriston
Contributor III

We were seeing this issue as well so I reached out to support. They said it's a known issue they are working on. PI-006356 is the article to keep an eye on this issue.

Trippinjim
New Contributor

Hey, I tried to send a remote command (update iOS) to one iPad yesterday and it failed so I suspect I'm another in the same boat. We're running 10.7.0 on our own infrastructure.

I just see a spinning indicator under 'taking action...', which continues on endlessly.

HOREL
New Contributor

hello
sorry for my English, I'm French. You say we could see article PI-006356. Where is it please ? Don't find it.

Thanks

Thomas HOREL

sharriston
Contributor III

So I have to say I also have been doing some searching and don't really see this product issue listed in any release notes either. I'll reach back out to support to see where this is listed.

dmichels
Contributor II

Same here...
When I go to..
Action
Send Remote Command
Update iOS Version on supervised devices (iOS 9 - 10.2, enrolled via a PreStage enrollment; and/or iOS 10.3 or later)
It just spins, not matter what group or individual computer I try to upgrade

I am running Jamf Pro 10.7

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Interesting. I just tried this for an iPad running iOS 11.4.1, and the command went, no continual spinning. The iPad received the commands and updated.

We updated last night to 10.7.1-t1536934276 (we are hosted).

chris

Quentin25
New Contributor II

Hey !

You updated Jamf from 10.7.0 ?

Quentin

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

No we updated from 10.5

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

Just chiming in. We're seeing the same problem with updating iOS. We can't send remote commands to update iOS on 1+ iPads. Endless spinning graphic. Happens in 10.7 and 10.7.1

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

We are encountering the same problem. Spinnnnnning graphic... (via send remote command)

Last week we had a successful update of 10 ipads from 11.4.1 to 12.0, our jss is and has been on 10.7.1.

As of today, we are failing to update a batch of 6 iPads from 11.4.1 to 12.0.1.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

sharriston
Contributor III

So my support person said it’s not listed in release notes yet because they just discovered it.

Not applicable

Prior to seeing this behavior, I did see a few times an error message where I would be at the next window and would be picking up which version of iOS to update to(11.4.1 or 12.0), as I think this was prior to 12.0.1. The text was in RED about some failure... No screenshot, however.

Recently no matter how many clients I pick it never loads to that choose screen. Just the scrolling wheel.

Not applicable

Prior to seeing this behavior, I did see a few times an error message where I would be at the next window and would be picking up which version of iOS to update to(11.4.1 or 12.0), as I think this was prior to 12.0.1. The text was in RED about some failure... No screenshot, however.

Recently no matter how many clients I pick it never loads to that choose screen. Just the scrolling wheel.

Quentin25
New Contributor II

I have contacted the Jamf Support and it's a PI-006356 they try to resolve it

So... Wait & see !

iBSC
New Contributor III

It's been like this for at least 5 days here. PI-006356

ndeangelis
New Contributor III

I am seeing this now.e153f9c972b249688292748cf7db71af

kmeyer
New Contributor

Just chiming in to say we are experiencing same issue, running hosted 10.7.0-t1536687501 on Windows 2012 R2. Thank you for working with support to create PI-006356!

I saw this error in the logs, and thought I'd paste it here in case it's helpful to others searching. (Still funny to me that all mass actions are labeled as "mass wipe" in the logs, haha)

2018-10-12 08:13:07,779 [INFO ] [Thread-6   ] [viceSearchActionAssistant] - *** was presented with the following 213 devices to mass wipe:
[MobileIOSDevice [ID=***, Name=***, ReportID=***], 
2018-10-12 08:13:15,858 [ERROR] [Thread-11  ] [HTMLController           ] - Exception processing HTMLResponse: 
java.time.format.DateTimeParseException: Text '' could not be parsed at index 0
    at java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parseResolved0(Unknown Source)
    at java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter.parse(Unknown Source)
    at java.time.LocalDate.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.mobiledevicemanagement.commands.osupdates.applesoftwarelookup.service.bean.OSUpdateIOSBean.getExpirationDateObject(OSUpdateIOSBean.java:74)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.mobiledevicemanagement.commands.osupdates.applesoftwarelookup.frontend.AppleSoftwareLookupFrontendAdapter.lambda$getSelectOptions$0(AppleSoftwareLookupFrontendAdapter.java:42)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(Unknown Source)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.mobiledevicemanagement.commands.osupdates.applesoftwarelookup.frontend.AppleSoftwareLookupFrontendAdapter.getSelectOptions(AppleSoftwareLookupFrontendAdapter.java:47)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.advancedsearch.MobileDeviceSearchActionAssistant.processRequest(MobileDeviceSearchActionAssistant.java:714)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.Assistant.process(Assistant.java:264)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLController.processRequest(HTMLController.java:375)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.HTMLController.doPost(HTMLController.java:78)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:661)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.sso.filter.SsoFilter.doFilter(SsoFilter.java:56)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSAccessFilter.doFilter(JSSAccessFilter.java:69)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
    at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
    at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSLoadingFilter.doFilter(JSSLoadingFilter.java:208)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:493)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:800)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:800)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(Nio2Endpoint.java:1699)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.processSocket(AbstractEndpoint.java:1050)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:630)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:608)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:960)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:889)
    at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl$ReadTask.completed(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.Iocp$EventHandlerTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

sharriston
Contributor III

So there is a workaround but I am seeing the same error as @ndeangelis

Not applicable

ndeangelis

Thank you for that post with the screenshot.
I did see this earlier (what I mean prior to how it is now where the page does not load at all, I think before 12.0.1 was released) except there was red text in that field.

Update:
I ran the command and this is what I see (see the text in the red). I think it's the same I saw prior to 12.0.1
6e4127cc3f64472a843dde772d01dc00

guidotti
Contributor II

That mass wipe action scared me in the logs, also!
I'm seeing this too, btw.

Just updated from 9.101 to 10.7.1 on a Windows server environment.
I was trying to use the feature to update some AppleTVs to tvOS 12.

nanfay
New Contributor III

I cannot find any article regarding PI-006356. Can someone either point me in the right direction or specify what the "fix" is that has been mentioned in this thread?

I am wondering if the timing of this coincides with Apple no longer permitting iOS 11.4.1 to be installed. We were using Apple Configurator and the corresponding .ipsw files to downgrade the couple of iPads that had inadvertently updated to iOS 12. On Thursday we discovered that process no longer worked, but instead fails with the error message "The OS install could not be authorized for this device. The build may not be approved for production installs." We have found in the past that there is only a short window of time that Apple will allow an outdated version of iOS to be installed, and that message indicates that time is up for iOS 11.4.1.

sharriston
Contributor III

So according to the support rep I spoke with they just discovered this issue and it has not been listed in the Release notes, hence why we can't find the PI number anywhere.

nanfay
New Contributor III

@sharriston thanks for the info, did your support rep give you the workaround that you mentioned?

sharriston
Contributor III

This is what the rep said "The workflow would look something like this - > > Edit the /etc/hosts file on all Tomcat nodes > Put in an entry that looks like this: 127.0.0.1 gdmf.apple.com <http://gdmf.apple.com/> > Save the hosts file and then attempt to push out the update. "

It does work but produces an error and from what I understand it will only allow going from 12.0 to 12.0.1

nanfay
New Contributor III

Thank you, Jamf support sent me the same info this morning, and I can now push out a command to update the iOS to the latest version. They also mentioned that once they resolve the issue, that additional line in /etc/hosts will need to be removed in order to choose older versions of the iOS.

I've only tested on one iPad so far, but it does seem to work going from iOS 11.4.1 to 12.0.1.

summoner2100
Contributor

Hey,

Sounds like useful information here. We're seeing the same on our self hosted install, and I was wondering what the deal was. We updated from 10.5 to 10.7.1. (hosted on windows)

Getting the spinning wheel everytime we try to go into updates.

Commenting to follow this thread.

Thanks.

miregan
Contributor II

The fact that something like this makes it out of QA into the final product is both mind boggling and pathetic.

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

We used the same process sharriston described above, but it doesn't work for us. New Win2016 server and JAMF 10.7.1

sharriston
Contributor III

We had to restart tomcat after editing the etc/host file

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

We've done that too. I'll give it another kick for good measure.

EDIT: The last restart must have done something. Still get an error about not being able to reach Apple, but at least we can update. We have to wait through the spinning circle, ignore the error message, and update to the most recent version.

iBSC
New Contributor III

What do jamfnow users do if their instance of jamf is hosted for them?
I presume we're all still waiting for a fix.

Quentin25
New Contributor II

Hello all !

I tested the function this morning and... it works !!

I don't know what they did.

Quentin

m_green
New Contributor III

We recently sent out remote commands to update to iOS 12.0.1 and "most" worked, but keep reading for further explanation.

Our environment is a mix of Shared iPad mode and what we call "Single User" mode (which require no login to access the home screen). We've always struggled to send iOS updates to Shared iPads due to a plethora of variables that have to be considered before an update will actually succeed (user logged out, battery level, device syncing to iCloud). However, our single user iPads have succeeded so far. Most of them were on 11.3.1 or 11.4.1 and updated to iOS 12.0.1 no problem. The variables to consider in our environment regardless of iPad mode (Shared or Single User) are the size of iOS packages (sometimes over 1-2 Gb), count of devices command is sent to, how the data is transferred (WiFi or tethered usb), time of device inactivity, and caching servers. For Single User iPads, we find it easier to have the teachers and students just go and start the download and install on their own iPads.

For Shared iPads, we have resorted to usb hubs and Apple Configurator 2. It's painful and slow. But it works. Shared iPad does not have a built in update service in Settings like the traditional Single User iPad configuration. This is because an update is a global decision for all users of the iPad, and not all users may want to update yet. We have not tried sending out the iOS update remote command to our Shared iPads, and probably won't as the success rate is very low and Shared iPads are very susceptible to failed updates which require a full restore via AC2.

Lastly, double check that your iPads don't have a profile on them that is deferring the iOS update. The remote command to update does not take precedence over this deferral as iOS automatically always chooses to go with more restrictions than less. I've noticed that removing this deferral, canceling the update commands and then resending them typically works. One other note about iOS (and probably macOS) deferrals is that if your profile says defer for 30 days, that doesn't mean defer for 30 days since the release of the iOS update from Apple, it means 30 days from the installation of the profile to defer. We learned this when some of our iPads updated successfully when they had the deferral in place and some iPads did not. The ones that did not update most likely installed the deferral profile later than the successful ones.

I hope this helps!

sharriston
Contributor III

So I couldn't find the PI listed in the release notes for 8 but I was able to update a few test iPads after upgrading.

ndeangelis
New Contributor III

So I checked just now and look what I got... It looks like Apple fixed it.
863361fec71144f8a39e6964e0193753

nanfay
New Contributor III

I checked as well and see the same thing, however if I try to actually send the command to update to a specific version I get back a message "The remote command failed to send." If I choose Latest version based on device eligibility the command goes thru fine, but even if I choose 12.0.1 (currently the latest version), I get the message that it failed.

RLR
Valued Contributor
For Shared iPads, we have resorted to usb hubs and Apple Configurator 2. It's painful and slow. But it works. Shared iPad does not have a built in update service in Settings like the traditional Single User iPad configuration. This is because an update is a global decision for all users of the iPad, and not all users may want to update yet. We have not tried sending out the iOS update remote command to our Shared iPads, and probably won't as the success rate is very low and Shared iPads are very susceptible to failed updates which require a full restore via AC2.

This is what we're doing. Shared mode iPads just fail all the time. We're also having an issue of "not enough space" on the device due to the hard drive being split into the number of users logged in. If the max number of allowed shared mode users are logged onto the iPad, they can't be updated until one of them is removed to free up some space for the update to be installed. This leads onto jamf not having a mass logout/remove button. I have to open up each iPad individually and remove a user.