O365 In Self Service

user-TOQuwYftgq
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm new to JAMF and wondered if any of this talent pool could point me in the right direction with fixing my problem. I would my user to be able to download Office 365 apps from Self-Service. As of right now, the apps show up in self-service but only redirect the user to the app store, and they can't download apps with their Managed Apple ID's. Is there a way to bypass the store and have it automatically install the apps when they click install?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Or, if you're deploying them via the App Store, make sure your policy has "assign content purchase in volume" checked. If deploying the PKG file, then yes deploy the package from the source listed above. 0fd90940403a4bb687320e2bad1ddb6f

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mdaly
New Contributor II

You'll need to convert the entire process to a policy with non Mac App store O365 packages from macadmins.software.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Or, if you're deploying them via the App Store, make sure your policy has "assign content purchase in volume" checked. If deploying the PKG file, then yes deploy the package from the source listed above. 0fd90940403a4bb687320e2bad1ddb6f

mh314
New Contributor

Edit: Dylan_YYC beat me to it while I was editing my screenshot, and and is correct :)

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Both @mdaly & @Dylan_YYC have equally good suggestion. It depends entirely if you want to use the M365 Apps from the App Store or if you want to install them from a Package. You will want to consider some of the advantages of each method

App Store Version
Always get the latest public version on install without having to manually download packages from Microsoft and upload to Jamf
If you have Apple Caching server(s), the apps are cached locally and can reduce download times
Users can easily pick individual apps without installing the whole Office suite. (Possible with packages as well, but harder to administer)

Package install
If you want your users to try early releases, only full installs support Insider updates. Can get a single package that installs the full suite with one install instead of asking the users to install multiple applications from SS

Personal opinion, using VPP for installing large Apps can be hit or miss. Apps sometimes just don't download and that backs up the MDM queue. VPP works for well most of the time, but when it doesn't, it doesn't. I prefer to install Office using a single package and allow Microsoft Autoupdate to perform the updates.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Ill second what @RBlount said, we've been having a real issue deploying the Office suite via the App Store, we get a lot of MDM error 72s even with a caching server. I have since switched our workflow back to being the PKG file and its working, but now im relying on the auto-update tool and its not the best.

user-TOQuwYftgq
New Contributor II

Thanks to @ Dylan_YYC. Like I'm really new...didn't realize I had to go in and get the licence via admin. Got it all handled now.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@user-TOQuwYftgq Glad to hear it! i would highly recommend looking through the admin guide when you get a chance. There is a lot of moving parts in Jamf Pro and that is a fantastic place to find step-by-step guides on pretty much everything including things to troubleshoot.

Saikat
New Contributor III

@user-TOQuwYftgq I have created 2 separate policies for 10.10 - 10.12.6 and 10.13 above. I downloaded the .pkg from https://portal.microsoftonline.com page. You need to open the site from a Mac machine to get those pkg downloaded. If you open it from a Windows machine, it will offer you to download exe file. Then you can deploy the .pkg with smart group based on OS. I have also configured dock item for all office apps. Along with office pkg, I also deploy Teams and add the icon in dock.