OS Version Collisions for years

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

So, with Big Sur being OS 11.x, has anyone come up with a good option for not having that collide with 10.11.x?

Say you have a smart group, and you say "OS Version -like 11.". That matches both 11. and 10.11.

Sure, you could also say AND "OS Version greater than 10.15" or something, but it's still something we're going to have to deal with until Apple gets to macOS 17... (since it appears Big Sur updates are going to be 11.x, so the next major release will be macOS 12).

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? Should we just ask for regex for OS version and call it a day?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Use 'Operating System matches regex', and you can have all the precision you want. '^10.11' for 10.11, '^11' for 11,...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Here's example of current search to avoid collision... yes, there are multiple ways to do this, but it's a bit annoying to have to have multiple conditions.
d4866a5aa7c6449faee25b4d4184dc58

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@rstasel Why not just use the "greater than or equal" operator with Operating System Version and a value of 11.0? Jamf Pro will (or so I'd hope) evaluate that as higher than 10.11

rstasel
Valued Contributor

@sdagley you’re absolutely right. But obviously that breaks (or rather, would include more than just 11.x) when macOS 12 releases...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@rstasel You can always us an "AND Operating System Version is less than x.x.x" to provide an upper bound on the range you want a Smart Group to target

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Agreed. I’m not saying there aren’t options (I showed my current one). I’m saying we’ve now hit a problem that it would be nice if Jamf addressed. Regex would fix. So would “starts with” or paying attention to periods (11. != .11.).

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Use 'Operating System matches regex', and you can have all the precision you want. '^10.11' for 10.11, '^11' for 11,...

rstasel
Valued Contributor

@mschroder Thank you! I honestly thought "Operating System" was just some holdover from the attempt to manage windows devices and have largely ignored it.

Perfect! =)

A_H
New Contributor III

I thought the same thing... it seems... wrong. But it works so I'll take it.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

yeah, regex works.

tkalvelage
New Contributor II

duplicate reply..... sorry...