OSX VPP app - self service AND install automatically for different targets?

CCNapier
Contributor

I have some VPP apps (Xcode being one) set to self service, but I would also like it "pre-installed" on certain open access computers (OSX 10.11).

Is this possible from JSS? I can only seem to select "self service" or "install automatically"...

If not, is there a way you can invoke a VPP install via a script of some kind?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Thinking out loud but could you add it twice?

View solution in original post

bburdeaux
Contributor II

You'll have to create two entries in the catalog, one for auto-installing, the other for self service. This is true for both iOS apps and MacOS AppStore apps. You also have to create multiple entries if you have the same app coming from different VPP accounts. The JSS is built to handle multiple entries, but it's always good practice to change the name of one of the entries slightly. I usually add some kind of tag in parenthesis at the end of the app name for the auto-installing entries.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Man, this would be awesome. While I don't have a solution, I would imagine having the capability to use a custom trigger and then referring to that within a script would be the way to do it. I use this basic approach as well as using -id triggers within scripts for policy-based packages--I wish this was extended to VPP apps too!

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Thinking out loud but could you add it twice?

CCNapier
Contributor

@davidacland Well, that's something I didn't consider. I've added it twice - now have a computer install. Let's see what happens. I'll check back tomorrow.

May
Contributor III

Hi @CCNapier

EDIT: i just actually read your description properly this time and realized this isn't what you're looking for but can't see a way to delete my post.

I'm able to get VPP applications to show up in Self Service and also install Automatically but i'm not sure if it's meant to ?!
i actually wanted to find a way to stop it from showing up in Self Service when set to install automatically,

i put the details in this thread

bburdeaux
Contributor II

You'll have to create two entries in the catalog, one for auto-installing, the other for self service. This is true for both iOS apps and MacOS AppStore apps. You also have to create multiple entries if you have the same app coming from different VPP accounts. The JSS is built to handle multiple entries, but it's always good practice to change the name of one of the entries slightly. I usually add some kind of tag in parenthesis at the end of the app name for the auto-installing entries.

CCNapier
Contributor

So yes, putting it in twice (once for self service, once for auto install) appears to work.
However, I'm having trouble getting it to install with nobody logged in. It doesn't seem like any install is happening until someone logs into the machine? Is this correct? Or do I have something wrong (such as the scoping)?

@sepiemoini Yes, a custom trigger would be great.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yep, thats normal behaviour :(

Not ideal.

CCNapier
Contributor

@davidacland REALLY? Wow that wasn't the answer I expected! I was sure it was my error.

OK so some new classroom machines that have a bunch of VPP apps associated (needed for teaching) won't be installed when the first class starts? That's quite disappointing! Guess they'll just have to wait!

Well, as long as I've done my best :D

CCNapier
Contributor

@davidacland Sorry to ping you on this again - I have a related question to which you might know the answer. If a user logs out whilst it is still downloading (large apps), I'm assuming it pauses until another user logs in again (and it doesn't have to be the same user)?

Thanks

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Actually, I'm not sure what happens in that case. Our normal practice is to push a command to all Macs with pending VPP apps to login (via ARD and AppleScript), then log them back out a few hours later (all out of hours).

CCNapier
Contributor

OK thanks. We have some 24 hours open access areas, so difficult so use that solution everywhere (although I suppose jamfHelper could block the screen), but could be a possibility for locked labs.

Thanks again.

techjason
Contributor

We created an Auto-Install category and all of the auto-install apps are put in that category so that it is easy distinguish between the apps.

johnpowell
New Contributor II

@davidacland Would you mind sharing the process and script you use for your ARD and AppleScript combination? I need to follow that process on a few hundred Macs in labs to trigger the install of VPP apps. Did you create a smart group for the pending app installs in the JSS? If so, what criteria did you use to scope it? Thanks!