OT: Folder Redirection MCX

jafuller
Contributor

I've seen that there are specific MCX for Folder Redirection. We are looking for more documentation/samples around this MCX implementation. I would also like to understand how this would work in conjunction with Home Sync and Mobile Accounts.

Is there anyone on here that may have a good source for us? I'm going to reach out to our Apple eng. as well.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidkwa
New Contributor III

Hi

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to be evasive with my post. James wanted a holistic view on the topic, more than just 'how-to' questions and design considerations that could fit in a post like this.

Ask for my email via your account manager, more than happy to share notes and assist.

Also, have a look at this book "APRESS - Enterprise Mac Administrator's Guide". It's written on a 10.6 but still relevant. There is a section on folder redirection in this good book.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

davidkwa
New Contributor III

Hi James

Check your email, I've sent you the information on folder redirection.

Regards

bc_johnson
New Contributor

Hi David - I am also interested in this information, would you be able to reach out to me with this as well?

Thanks!

jescala
Contributor II

I'm interested too. Why not just post it here?

davidkwa
New Contributor III

Hi

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to be evasive with my post. James wanted a holistic view on the topic, more than just 'how-to' questions and design considerations that could fit in a post like this.

Ask for my email via your account manager, more than happy to share notes and assist.

Also, have a look at this book "APRESS - Enterprise Mac Administrator's Guide". It's written on a 10.6 but still relevant. There is a section on folder redirection in this good book.

jafuller
Contributor

Wanted to share what our SE stated regarding this topic:

The only real documentation we have ever had for the folder redirector is in the preference manifest for it. However it is intended for allowing local use of folders when living from a network home. I'll check on the status of the folder redirector going forward as I do not know if changes were implemented in Mountain Lion. Directory based policy is on the way out. Profile based management is the direction with a future. I now avoid the MCX terminology, definitely on its way out, as it still applies to both and gets confusing.

Looks like we'll start getting into more Profiles and less MCX.

http://afp548.com/2012/08/02/never-image-a-machine-again
+
https://github.com/timsutton/mcxToProfile
+
Casper = :-)

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hey Everyone,

Have you all looked at the com.apple.homesync.plist file? There is a template for it in the JSS under Management > Managed Preferences. Inside that plist you can set paths to include and exclude to sync to the network.

Has anyone tried this? It should work in the same manner as those settings from Open Directory.

I hope this may help some of you.

Thanks,
Tom