Patch Management Noob Question

maffettb
New Contributor III

So I have recently started pulling Macs into my JSS after strictly doing mobile devices for the past 5 years. I've been doing a pretty good job of figuring stuff out and navigating hurtles thanks to the JN community!
Patch management has been bothering me though and I have been trying to get my head around it in my spare moments all last week. I may be and probably am overthinking it...I have read multiple posts, read the admin guide and watched a couple videos from JNUC.
So here is what I'm thinking...is this right?
I have created a Chrome version A package and put it in Self Service and set up Patch notifications.
Users are using Chrome version A and version B is released.
So I create a new package for Version B the same way I created version A, upload it to JSS, attach it to the patch managment section and create a patch policy?
Then replace the package for version A attached to the original Self Service Policy with the version B package so users who have not installed chrome yet get the newest version?
Is this the correct method for creating patch installs...by using the full installer? Does this apply to more technical apps like Office as well? Or is there a way to package just the actual patch data?
I'm using a virtual machine to create packages so I snapshot back to clean before creating a package is this wrong and I need to take a composer snapshot with the old version of software installed, update and take a comparison snapshot to create the package?
Sorry for the long read if this is a simple answer, the more I have dug, the more my brain starts going in circles :(.
Thanks for any guidance you wonderful people can provide.

1 REPLY 1

maffettb
New Contributor III

Hmmm, I now realize that I probably should not have created this topic late on a Friday.