Pre-stage enrollments and Apple IDs

lizmowens
New Contributor III

I'm setting up a new batch of iPads for incoming 1st graders. I am enrolling them using a "first grade" pre-stage enrollment profile like I did last year (only my 2nd year with Casper Suite). However, what I want to do is not have to use an Apple ID at all. Is there a way to do that and still get these devices enrolled in the JSS? Right now I get the message on the iPad that says I have to log into iTunes with an Apple ID in order to have JAMF manage the device and assign apps. Is there a way around that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lizmowens
New Contributor III

Thanks to a great call with JAMF support, the issue is now officially resolved. Had left out the script in the App Configuration pane that directed Self Service to communicate with my JSS.

Thanks again to everyone who helped this relative newbie get this resolved. Not having to deal with Apple IDs will make my life SO much easier!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Welcome to Casper!

It sounds like you are on the right track, but I'm missing something. An Apple ID is not needed to enroll into the JSS. Perhaps it is getting enrolled and then Self Service Mobile is trying to install and it wants an Apple ID?

Please describe how you are enrolling. Are you using the iPad's Setup Assistant? Do you 'Require Authentication' with LDAP credentials? Do you get to the Home Screen?

chris

lizmowens
New Contributor III

You are exactly right. I did a poor job of explaining the situation. It is asking for an Apple ID before it installs Self Service Mobile.

We aren't using LDAP so no authentication there. As far as enrollment process, I'm finding the mobile device in the JSS (searching by serial #), scoping it to the pre-stage enrollment, turning on the device and walking through the steps of the set up assistant that I haven't told it to skip in the pre-stage enrollment process, and then when I get to the home screen and the iPad tries to install Self Service, I get the message about logging into iTunes with an Apple ID so JAMF can manage and distribute apps.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@lizmowens have you purchased Self Service under managed app distribution & set the JSS to install using a VPP license?

lizmowens
New Contributor III

No, I don't think I have! Didn't even think about that!

lizmowens
New Contributor III

@bentoms here's how the self service app is currently set up in the JSS (was set up this way during the quick start training last year). I don't see a way to add it to the managed app distribution via VPP since it's a free app and not a paid one. Obviously I'm not doing something right.
29a9c6a4666a47228c4a15b50c56d6b0

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@lizmowens To accomplish what you want to do, you will be configuring Self Service Mobile as a Device-Assigned app in the App Catalog. The free app will need to be 'purchased' for no cost with the VPP program as a Managed License. Search for 'VPP-Managed Distribution for Mobile Devices' in the Casper Admin manual.

This comment gives a quick overview as it pertains to Self Service, but read the entire page.

chris :)

lizmowens
New Contributor III

Got it! You guys rock. Thanks so much!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Thanks @cdenesha, much more eloquent than I posted.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

OK, @cdenesha so I spoke too soon. The app did indeed install on the iPads; however, when you click on Self Service, the following error message pops up: "The required managed settings were not received from the server." Obviously I have something set up incorrectly somewhere...?

lizmowens
New Contributor III

Thanks to a great call with JAMF support, the issue is now officially resolved. Had left out the script in the App Configuration pane that directed Self Service to communicate with my JSS.

Thanks again to everyone who helped this relative newbie get this resolved. Not having to deal with Apple IDs will make my life SO much easier!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@lizmowens You are very welcome! Tag team support, eh @bentoms? lol

chris :)