Printing to Windows Print Server

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

I am trying to add a printer from a Windows Server 2008 R2 Print Server. I have followed the instructions on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3049 just to be sure. I am able to install the printer to my 10.8 system with both generic and its Dell drivers.

The problem arises when I try to send a print. On the client, it looks as if the print went through successfully, but in the event log on the server, I get an Event 372 with the following error:

The document *, owned by *, failed to print on printer *. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler. Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 360709. Number of bytes printed: 360709. Total number of pages in the document: 0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: *.... Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 2147549183. Catastrophic failure

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else added printers in this way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

It turns out that the error I was receiving comes from a configuration problem and a stupid mistake on my part.

I was adding the printer to the client macs as LPD printers, but accepting them on the print server through Windows Print Services. I have enabled LPD on the server and I am now just waiting for the ACL to be opened to be able to do some testing.

I'm pretty confident that the problem was just me being stupid, but I'll find out soon (I hope).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

So does this mean that no one is adding printers in this way, or that no one has seen errors similar to this?

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

I print to a Windows print server.

The thing to keep in mind is that most Windows print servers are only compatible with PCL and PostScript print jobs when sent from a Mac, and that many printers do not ship with a PostScript card. Therefore, make sure that the driver you've selected is truly compatible. I'd start with the Generic PCL driver, rather than the Generic PostScript driver, if you haven't already done so.

Many vendors use proprietary printing languages; those may or may not be compatible with Windows print servers. An example of one incompatible language is Canon's UFR II; it will cause the print job to fail or print garbage.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

I've now tried adding the printer with the Generic PCL, Generic PS, and the Dell driver for the 5530dn model printer. All 3 drivers result in the same error message on the Print Server.

I'm beginning to think it's a setting on the server itself. Is there anything in particular I should be watchful for?

I can technically add the printers via IP, but I'd really like to go through the server to avoid any problems.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Does the Windows Server print queue owner host the OS X PPD on the printer server?

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

AFAIK Windows doesn't have the capability. That being said, I was unable to get it working, so I don't know for sure.

spowell01
Contributor

We are printing to a 2008 R2 print server at our district. We have had quite a few issues in the past and still struggle with kerberos in our environment. Its likely we would have a better experience if we hosted our printers on a mac server environment....but I'm the server guy,and we are windows in the server room :)

All in all, when we go to add a printer from any of our macs,available printer list is updated with a list of all printers available on our windows server. Next to the printer name it says "Open Directory" even though we are not hosting them through OD whatsoever. It generally works as expected

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

It turns out that the error I was receiving comes from a configuration problem and a stupid mistake on my part.

I was adding the printer to the client macs as LPD printers, but accepting them on the print server through Windows Print Services. I have enabled LPD on the server and I am now just waiting for the ACL to be opened to be able to do some testing.

I'm pretty confident that the problem was just me being stupid, but I'll find out soon (I hope).