Push pop-up as soon as setup assistant finishes

aandino
New Contributor III

Hello there,

Newer Jamf Pro user, I've got a system of about 200 devices setup and running right now which has been done basically with user-intitiated enrollment, but now I'm getting ready for us to start rolling out pre-stage.

What I would like to do, is once setup assistant finishes, and the user gets to the desktop, I want to push a message with a policy using restart options that tells them to not touch their machine for 15 minutes at which point the machine will restart. Thought process here is to allow the computer to do all the software installs etc, so they don't mess anything up.

I was trying to do this with "enrollment complete" but what happened is that the message would pop-up right overtop setup assistant if they didn't get through it quick enough. So I'm trying to get it to wait until it hits the desktop. I tried using "login" trigger, but it didn't seem to work, it says it ran, but never showed up.

I appreciate any insight you could offer. Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@aandino Take a look at the DEPNotify-Starter script starting at line 505 for an example of how to have a script triggered by "enrollment compete" wait for Setup Assistant to finish

View solution in original post

mickgrant
Contributor III

You can use the Enrollment Complete trigger to launch a script that looks for the setup assistant to be complete, before proceeding to call your remaining policy triggers.

here is the script section that checks for setup assistant to be finished

# Check if Setup Assistance Process is Still Running.
# If yes, wait till it finishes so this script will NOT proceed while running the Setup Assistant (Location Settings..etc)
#

SetupAssistance_process=$(/bin/ps auxww | grep -q "[S]etup Assistant.app")
while [ $? -eq 0 ]
do
    /bin/echo "Setup Assistant Still Running... Sleep for 2 seconds..."
    /bin/sleep 2
done

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@aandino Take a look at the DEPNotify-Starter script starting at line 505 for an example of how to have a script triggered by "enrollment compete" wait for Setup Assistant to finish

mickgrant
Contributor III

You can use the Enrollment Complete trigger to launch a script that looks for the setup assistant to be complete, before proceeding to call your remaining policy triggers.

here is the script section that checks for setup assistant to be finished

# Check if Setup Assistance Process is Still Running.
# If yes, wait till it finishes so this script will NOT proceed while running the Setup Assistant (Location Settings..etc)
#

while [ $? -eq 0 ]
do
    /bin/echo "Setup Assistant Still Running... Sleep for 2 seconds..."
    /bin/sleep 2
done