"Cannot install" error in Self Service

jonlju
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to create packages and install them using Self Service. Normally here we have someone who knows Casper Suite much better than me but I'm a bit of a novice. I'm a bit lost as to what I'm missing being a novice?

I've used Composer to do two installation packages out of currently installed software,
namely Mozilla Firefox and Skype. I can package them fine, set editor rights for root and staff (being the default gidNumber our Mac users have) and then install the .pkg locally on my Mac.
However, if I add the package in Casper Admin and configure a Self Service Policy to be able to install the package from there, the installation will fail saying "Cannot Install Item - There was a problem installing Mozilla Firefox. Contact your administrator."

Update:
I tried logging in to Self Service (we normally don't require a user to log in to be able to install from Self Service), but then the installation ran but still provided me with the same error message. However, when checking jamf.log I found this, and I can open Firefox from Applications so it seems like it has been installed after all despite the error:

mån juli 18 13:39:25 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[8455]: Checking for policy ID 7...
mån juli 18 13:39:27 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[8455]: Executing Policy Mozilla Firefox
mån juli 18 13:39:28 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[8455]: Verifying package integrity...
mån juli 18 13:39:30 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[8455]: Installing Firefox.pkg...
mån juli 18 13:39:39 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[8455]: Successfully installed Firefox.pkg.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jonlju
Contributor

I removed the JAMF framework from the machine and added it back using QuickAdd.pkg, the installations are now going through fine. Thank you jonlju!

No problem jonlju.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

roiegat
Contributor III

Do you have multiple distribution points? I know sometimes if a tech uploads something to Casper Admin, and forget to replicate to all distribution points the package will error on install - but still install.

What happens in that case is that it tries to install it from the distribution point assigned to the machine, if it can't find the file (since it wasn't replicated) it will error out. If a fallback distribution server is set, it will then attempt to connect to that and grab the file. It will keep doing this until it either finds the file or runs out of distribution points. So essentially, it can error and accomplish the task.

jonlju
Contributor

Hm, this is strange. I tried doing a new .pkg-package for Skype and install it without logging in. It gives me the same message as when installing Firefox; the error is there in the end, but the application has been installed and is usable and the log says this:

mån juli 18 14:12:04 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[55]: Exception thrown while trying to send a message to a daemon observer for notification com.jamfsoftware.jamf.jamfAgentRequestEvent: NSDistantObject (0x7f81a1f420c0) is invalid (no connection)
mån juli 18 14:12:05 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[10214]: Checking for policy ID 23...
mån juli 18 14:12:07 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[10214]: Executing Policy Skype
mån juli 18 14:12:08 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[10214]: Verifying package integrity...
mån juli 18 14:12:09 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[10214]: Installing Skype.pkg...
mån juli 18 14:12:42 watcnoclosxl001 jamf[10214]: Successfully installed Skype.pkg.

The first line there is what throws me off a bit.

jonlju
Contributor

Hi @roiegat,

We only have a single distribution point set up ("pkg.se.ourdomain.com"), but usually for all policies referring to packages to be installed the policy itself will be set to "Each computer's default distribution Point" which is true for both of these packages.

The weirdest thing is that after any of these "fail", all installations will "fail" the same way. After reboot the previously working packages will install fine. But if I try to install Firefox or Skype again, the problem comes back for all packages until next reboot.

jonlju
Contributor

Hm, actually it seems the packages are installing fine on other Macs, just not mine. Well, they install correctly but I always get the "Cannot install" message at the end even though it works. Strange.

jonlju
Contributor

I removed the JAMF framework from the machine and added it back using QuickAdd.pkg, the installations are now going through fine. Thank you jonlju!

No problem jonlju.