"You may not have permissions to update Casper admin data"

powellbc
Contributor II

The distributed users with partial access to Casper are getting this error when they try to upload items through Casper admin. Though the error is generated, it appears the upload completes correctly. The error also occurs when saving in Casper Admin.

Rather than blanketly assign update privileges on all JSS objects, where should I be looking for what objects they need update privileges on? The change management log was not helping me here.

15 REPLIES 15

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I'm having this issue too, with version 9.21. It's completely random, it seems anyway. Simply removing a package from a configuration and hitting save gives me this error.

I have to reboot the JSS to fix it.

mcrispin
Contributor II

This is an issue I've seen.

Are you connected to Active Directory domain? (if so, which version?). If you are using AD users, are you using AD groups, or importing individual users and them assigning them permissions in Casper 9?

This is simply a hunch at this point, but I think the JSS pings AD servers quite a lot, there might be some sort of time out happening on the directory service which the JSS chokes on.

powellbc
Contributor II

Can anyone from Jamf comment?

quedayone
Contributor

I am seeing this as well. Testing reboot of JSS to see if it fixes..........

quedayone
Contributor

NOPE

denmoff
Contributor III

I'm also seeing this issue with 9.21.

mks007
New Contributor II

I am seeing this as well. Creating new configuration while saving it now seem to take forever now.

dmollner
New Contributor

I'm seeing this on 9.31

dmollner
New Contributor

Well, I'm not sure that my problem was the same as everyone else. In my case, Casper's repo is on NAS which is being accessed via SMB with a functional account that I created in AD. I gave said account permissions to the network share and set it up in the "Distribution Point" settings in JSS, BUT I neglected to give that account permissions in JSS. The result is that Casper Admin could mount the share and read/write to it, but changes could not be saved in JSS and it would throw "You may not have permissions to update Casper admin data". Added that account as an LDAP user in JSS and now everything is happy again.

mmashlan
New Contributor

Login to the JSS through a web browser using the same login you are using for casper admin. Make sure the current site drop-down is set to "Full JSS" and then log out. If it is not, there is a bug where it will only give the casper admin app access to the current site. Hope this helps.

quedayone
Contributor

Wow that is annoying.

Login to the JSS through a web browser using the same login you are using for casper admin. Make sure the current site drop-down is set to "Full JSS" and then log out.

Just worked for me.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@quedayone

That's actually behavior described in D-005832, which is still listed as an open defect.

Development is aware that it's an issue, and it does have the "Planned for release" stamp on it, so hopefully we'll be seeing a fix soon.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mikethompsett
New Contributor III

Hi All,

JAMF Support/Dev Guys... Any update on this (described in D-005832) as it NOW renders CASPER next to useless!

Regards,
Mike

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mikethompsett

The defect is still listed as open, but it doesn't render Admin useless; all we need to do to get around it, as mentioned further up in the thread, is login to the JSS through a web browser using the same login you are using for casper admin. Make sure the current site drop-down is set to "Full JSS" and then log out.

It's being logged in and in a "Site View" that causes the problem, so switching back to "Full JSS" takes care of it as a workaround.

After doing that, you'll want to re-launch Casper Admin, and it should be fine.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

charliwest
Contributor II

I am having this issue with 9.61 and mine is set to full for sure. Any other work arounds?