Recon 9.81 won't install jamf binary on 10.11.1

mgarman
New Contributor III

Just installed 10.11.1 on an iMac and installed Casper 9.81. Tried to run Recon, it logins in, but when I click Enroll, it comes back with:

Connection Error
A connection error occurred: jamf binary failed to install

I can see that it creates the directory /usr/local/jamf as root, but the the directory has nothing in it.

13 REPLIES 13

NickKoval
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if you use a quick-add package?

mgarman
New Contributor III

Quick add package worked.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@dpeterka sounds like a defect with the recon.app & 10.11

mgarman
New Contributor III

Once the Quick Add package ran, Recon 9.81 would work as the jamf binary was now available.

gajones
New Contributor II

same issue, Recon 9.81 fails on a brand new image of 10.11.1

farverk
New Contributor III

I have this same issue with recon 9.81 and El Capitan 10.11.3. Using the Quick Add package works fine.

Josh_S
Contributor III

I ran into a similar issue a little while back. I think the problem lies in the fact that the /usr/local/bin directory does not exist on a fresh image of 10.11. The QuickAdd.pkg will create this directory if required but, I suspect, the Recon.app just tries to create a symbolic link directly into this, non-existant, folder which points back to the actual binaries in /usr/local/jamf/bin.

I ran into a similar issue with my automatic re-enroll process, which I use to provision machines. I was creating/downloading the binary to /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf, and then relying on the binary to create the symbolic links. That task continually failed until I pre-created the /usr/local/bin directory.

Eyoung
Contributor

having the same issue. recon AND quick add both fail.

Eyoung
Contributor

Working with JAMF support determined that if Recon is set to use HTTP to get the binary it fails. If the preferences are set for SCP it works. I got no solid answer if this was a Casper bug, or an Apple bug or some as yet unknown double secret bug.

iweiss
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue running JSS 9.82 with 10.10.5 clients and 10.11.X clients. Recon Remote Enrollment errors out almost immediately with the error "A connection error occurred: jamf binary failed to install". QuickAdd packages generated from the Recon.app completes enrollment with some errors and QuickAdd packages downloaded from the Web Enrollment Portal work without issue. Unfortunately, our documented process is tied to using the Recon.app for enrollment so our rep's workaround of using QuickAdd packages leaves something to be desired.

iweiss
New Contributor III

Thank you Eyoung! I finally got our Recon Remote Enrollment working by switching to SCP. It crashed Recon the first couple of times I tried to change it, but now it is working like a charm.

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

Just upgraded our JSS to 9.82 and had the same problem. Had to switch Recon to SCP. Anyone got to the bottom of this?

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

May have just answered my own question!

I created a new SSL cert in the Tomcat settings, then restarted Tomcat. HTTP now seems to work as well as SCP.