Remote Distribution Point

momusau
New Contributor

Hi,

This might be a newb question, but it's concerning how users connect to the distribution point when they are off of our internal network. So the question is how do you handle the VPN aspect of it, because even once they VPN in, they would then have to manually connect to where our DP is. I suppose I have a question for even locally connecting to the DP, I'm sure there's a way to have them connect to it automatically with some local account correct?

I assume that a Cloud DP would make this a lot easier, but putting that aside for now, how do you all deal with this?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

In our situation, we have the subnets for our different VPN gateways setup to point to their closest distribution server (using Settings > Network Organization > Network Segments). We also have our master distribution point in the DMZ, so anyone not on a predetermined network segment (i.e. the rest of the world) will go to the master distribution point by default.

The downside to this is someone using a public wifi connection in Delhi will be using the master distribution point in Atlanta instead of the one we have in Hong Kong. So we advise folks to use VPN and the nearest gateway when they can.

SeanA
Contributor III

No DMZ here, but @cwaldrip's answer applies here: configure subnets for different VPN gateways to point to closest DP.

momusau
New Contributor

Ok, so backing up for a second here. How do your users connect to any dp? Do you have a config profile that automatically connects them to it with a local account? I seem to be a little lost on this point.

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

We setup network segments in the JSS. So everyone in a subnet or range of subnets, get directed towards a specific JDS or file share. If they're not in a configured network segment, then by default they use the master distribution point.

You can limit packages to specific distribution points too, but we're not that granular.