Remote wipe a 10.7 Mac

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've assigned the permissions on my test JSS to remote wipe (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=208)
, but I'm not seeing how you actually wipe a machine. Can someone point me in the right direction?

14 REPLIES 14

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Remote Wipe...hmmm...isn't that iOS only?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Do you have an APN certificate for your JSS? Its required to use some of the management features in Lion such as these.

@Don- its a new feature in the 8.51 release for OS X machines (see pg 318 in the 8.51 Admin guide), but they need to be enrolled for management, just as you would when using Lion Configuration Profiles..

Matt
Valued Contributor

Remote wipe is iOS only though I guess with some brilliant scripting you could hack the Recovery Partition.

rtrouton

According to the Casper 8.51 release notes, 8.51 also supports remote locking/wiping Macs running 10.7.

I don't have an APN for my test JSS, so I'll get one.

rtrouton

Now with an APN certificate, I'm getting some new options showing up in Inventory on my Lion test box.

external image link

external image link

external image link

external image link

Matt
Valued Contributor

Ahh I see what you mean now. We don't have recovery partitions thats why.

bentoms

yep i tested this in the 8.5 beta.. works well :)

rtrouton

One nice thing is that I don't have any profiles running. This capability looks like it's available automatically as long as your 10.7 Macs have Recovery HD and your JSS is set up with an APN.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Feature request...change garbage can icon to pencil eraser...LOL

--
https://donmontalvo.com

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Interesting, I have all of the requirements met that are in the Admin Guide (page 318), but I don't get the icons. I get "MDM Managed" is yes, but no icons. Hmph.

Anyone have any ideas?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Nevermind....I'm a bone head....I didn't read the requirements in the article that Rich posted and the user I was using didn't have the Remote commands privileges.

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

How can I tell if my system has the APNs installed?
Do I need to be using config profiles to see these options on Lion systems?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

"Settings > Global Management Framework Settings > Push Notification Certificate"

If you don't see a certificate listed there, you don't have it uploaded.
(Unless by "system" you were referring to one of the Mac clients?)

Also, according to the notes in the admin guide, it doesn't look like you need to use Configuration profiles to get these features. Just the APN and the other settings enabled that are listed in the documentation.

rtrouton