Self Service doesn't activate

Yu-64
New Contributor

After installing Self Service (ver11.2.0-588) to managed iPad device, the app requests log in to JAMF Software Server.

This happens iOS 16.6.1 and 17.1.1, then it's possible to access internet.

Even after reseting iPad, reinstall App, it occurs.

I have no idea to solve it.

Help me.

42 REPLIES 42

Yu-64
New Contributor

IMG_0001.png

I can't continue and use the app.

On Jamf Pro Console, the system doesn't request user login.

Yu64_1-1700020580110.png

foobarfoo
Contributor

We have the same problem and it's a HUUUUGE issue for us! Any insights?

naominix
New Contributor

In my environment, I was able to work around this by adding the following to the app configuration of the Self Service Moblie App. 

<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<string>$MANAGEMENTID</string>

naominix_0-1700036380583.png

m_ruehl
New Contributor II

@naominix  schrieb:

In my environment, I was able to work around this by adding the following to the app configuration of the Self Service Moblie App. 

<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>

naominix_0-1700036380583.png

This Workaround also works in our Environment 👍

Kaiserma
New Contributor II

This also worked for our environment! :D

Myhr
New Contributor II

Chipping in that this worked for us too!
Initially we replaced UDID with MANAGEMENTID which didn't work, needed to have them both in the config.
Jamf told me that they have an open case for this: #PI115080

I will try adding the UDID back as well.

Thank You. 

So yes adding the UDID worked for me.  Thank you.

I had hoped this would work for us, because I saw this from another post but my gut says iPadOS 17.1.1 compatibility issue.  LOL

Myhr
New Contributor II

Worked on our 17.1.1 devices! Couldn't be bothered with waiting for the Managed App Configuration to queue so I just reinstalled the Self Service app instead and voila!

vickih
Contributor

Yes, I'm having the exact same issue.  I have enough licenses because that was the first thing I thought of.  And then I just updated the App Configuration under the app as we deploy it using the VPP.  And there is apparently a string missing.

So I updated the App Configuration per Jamf manual 

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/Jamf_Self_Service_for_iOS.html

Then after I updated our iPad to 17.1.1 this is when my issue's started. 

VickiH

viorel
New Contributor

I have also done what you mention above and copied the App Configuration from the Jamf online Admin Manual and it still does not work.  I know this workaround works for some but there are others that it does not fix. I read somewhere Jamf has an open case for this.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

THANK YOU for documenting the fix. It is working in my district.

Shearbec
New Contributor

Thank you - this worked for our district as well!  Out of curiosity, since I'm not the normal JAMF Admin, how long for the devices to pick up the parameter change?  I forced an update to inventory and that did not update on the device.  I had to remove the Self Service app and reinstall it.  

Matt
Valued Contributor

Depends, MDM is pretty hit or miss. Could be instantly, could take a few minutes.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Im still getting the error after adding this to the Self Service App Config. This issue is so annoying.

<dict>
<key>INVITATION_STRING</key> 
<string>$MOBILEDEVICEAPPINVITE</string> 
<key>JSS_ID</key> 
<string>$JSSID</string> 
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key> 
<string>$SERIALNUMBER</string> 
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key> 
<string>$DEVICENAME</string> 
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key> 
<string>$MACADDRESS</string> 
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key> 
<key>JSS_URL</key> 
<string>$JPS_URL</string> 
</dict> 

Matt this is what worked for me the UDID string needs to be added back which is not in the Jamf Admin Documentation.

change the $JSS_URL string to match your https://xxxx.jamfcloud.com instance.

<dict>
<key>INVITATION_STRING</key>
<string>$MOBILEDEVICEAPPINVITE</string>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<string>$SERIALNUMBER</string>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<string>$DEVICENAME</string>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<string>$MACADDRESS</string>
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string>
<key>JSS_URL</key>
<string>$JSS_URL</string>
</dict>

shawn_spence
New Contributor II

Will this work even with cloud hosted Jamf environments?  Just checking as I know some things work differently in configuration for us cloud vs on prem instances.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I'm on prem and it fixed one of my phones, verifying with some clients right now.

Yes I am cloud based. I've never been on-prem :-) We also don't require a user to log into Self-Service that's why we have it setup for volume purchase install.

Matt
Valued Contributor

So it fixed our issues. We are on-prem with no login required and it fixed it right away.

Excellent news !

Matt
Valued Contributor

We have been going back and forth with JAMF about this for over a month, doing DB edits, repairs, etc. So nice to know that the issue is finally fixed.

That is unfortunate, my issue just started yesterday.  I'm glad you were able to get your fix from the Jamf Nation world.  It's where I come to first because there are a lot of smart people in these forums. 

Matt
Valued Contributor

Yeah I've been a part of this community since it was an email list but was away from the JAMF world for a few years. Nice to see its still the defacto place to go.

Matt
Valued Contributor

May have a winner!!!! If this works thank you everyone. I have been going back and forth with JAMF about this for over a month! This community to the rescue again.

CoryCooper
New Contributor III

Hi All,

This seems to have worked for us as well.

Thanks for the discussion and let us know if anyone hears from Jamf directly on their fix.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Yeah im wonder if this is a JAMF thing or an iOS thing. Defining a variable doesn't seem to be a long term solution IMHO.

foobarfoo
Contributor

So, new managed app config has been pushed and verified installed on my device. We already know that reinstalling self service will fix it. But what about if you DON'T reinstall self service? What needs to happen then for the new managed app configuration to take effect? Or is the only solution to unscope and re-scope self service?

Matt
Valued Contributor

For my environment it updated when the check in process happened.

I was just able to confirm with what Matt said, I turned on a device it checked in (its been awhile) and it updated to the new self-service app and then the app configuration deployed out.

You can force them to check inventory automatically

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 11.37.52 AM.png

VickiH

Matt
Valued Contributor

I just did a mass command too and had a ton of messages of people saying "Self Service works!"

WooHoo!

bfrench
Contributor III

Just read this post and not 1 minute later a student came down with this issue.  Oddly on the device Self Service and Settings were both listed twice.  I was able to delete and redeploy SS and that fixed the issue.  Are others also seeing Self Service duplicates if you search for it on the iPad before this "fix"?

bfrench
Contributor III

I don't have access to view that.. :-( 

bfrench
Contributor III

You must be able to log into the Jamf Service portal.  It basically states what others have posted about - adding the management id key

Also that it is an issue with Self Service 11.2 and was effecting iOS 16 and 17