servicenow.com Jamf integration

RaulSantos
Contributor

Has any one integrated there jss with service-now?

29 REPLIES 29

drheiner
New Contributor III

I also have this question, I am wondering if their is a plugin for ServiceNow to allow it access Casper Inventory?

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

We've been looking for the same thing, but since we were not able to find such an option we are going to end up using the SCCM plug-in to integrate with that and then ServiceNow can integrate with SCCM...

Not really direct, but should work.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

We just deployed ServiceNow here in December 2014. We replaced a deprecated BMC Help Desk & Asset product and we love it. SN is Mac friendly and browser-based.

I'm hoping to have Casper Suite purchased and deployed this winter spring (2015).

I'd love to hear success stories or testimonials on how you have integrated JAMF with SN. Please share.

My main goal is the auto-creation of Assets (CIs) in SN when a new Mac is imaged and deployed into production via JAMF. It would greatly help my Desktop Techs and IT in general.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

was there ever any progress on this? We're rolling out SN soon (end of month is go live date i think).

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I haven't purchased JAMF Casper Suite yet. So most of our computers are added into SN via a service called Help the Help Desk (Windows). Most of the Macs are entered manually into SN at deployment time, which is fairly easy and fast to do, but it would be nice to automate the process to avoid human error etc (damn humans!)

When we procure JAMF after this year, we are also buying SCCM too (replacing Altiris on the Windows side). So it looks to me that Casper will be able to talk to SCCM to create/store new Mac asset records, and then the asset info will go upstream one more hop to SCCM to create new CI records (Configuration Items - which are basically assets)

RogerH
Contributor II

@RaulSantos @dstranathan We use serviceNow and have successfully integrated using the REST API. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

RogerH
Contributor II

We also bought the SCCM plug in but decided against using it. Currently servicenow runs a regular job that talks on servicenow that talks to the jss to import new systems and update user info etc. Our next step is to have new assets created in service now set up prestage imaging jobs for newly added inventory.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@RaulSantos

Please tell me more about how you used the REST API to gather Mac CI data.

Does your JSS run on Windows and MSSQL?

Thank you sir

RaulSantos
Contributor

@RogerUL are you doing this via a database import or an API script?

RogerH
Contributor II

API script running in service now.

RaulSantos
Contributor

@RogerUL Would you be willing to share that API script? Github?

dmw3
Contributor III

@RogerUL Also interested in this as we have just deployed Service Now replacing LanDesk.

5kinner
New Contributor III

Would love to see this also, we have deployed ServiceNow last week and would be good to know how easy it is to integrate with the JSS

RogerH
Contributor II

@5kinner @dmw3 @RaulSantos Here is what I got from our service now guru. Let me know if you have additional questions

var r = new RESTMessage('Capser', 'get');
var response = r.execute();

var k = 1;
while ( response == null ) {
   gs.print( "waiting ... " + k + " seconds");
   response = r.getResponse( 1000 );
   k++;

if ( k > 30 ) {
      gs.print( 'service time-out' );
      break;
   }
}

var jsonString = response.getBody();
var parser = new JSONParser();
var parsed = parser.parse(jsonString);

for (i = 0; i < parsed.computers.length; i++) {

var name = parsed.computers[i].name;

var model = parsed.computers[i].model;
    var mac = parsed.computers[i].mac_address;
    var serial_number = parsed.computers[i].serial_number;
    var username = parsed.computers[i].username; //username field format in casper matches sys_user.user_name field format in ServiceNow
   var udid = parsed.computers[i].udid;

var rec = new GlideRecord('u_clean_mac');
     rec.initialize();
            rec.u_name = name;
            rec.u_model = model;
                        rec.u_mac_address = mac; 
            rec.u_serial_number = serial_number;       
            rec.u_assigned_to = username;
                                                rec.u_udid = udid;

rec.insert();
     gs.log(name + '(Serial - ' + serial_number + ') has been added to the Casper Clean Mac Import table');
}

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@RogerUL thank you for that! Is it missing some context though? I know I am missing some as I haven't seen anything in SN yet - so that may be why, but how does it know where to find the JSS?

dmw3
Contributor III

@RogerUL Thanks for sharing. like @jwojda I think there is a connection string missing.

5kinner
New Contributor III

Thanks for this!

remyasc
New Contributor

Is there any way we can have more parameters added in an API? I mean like,right now JSSResource/computers/subset/basic returns a set of attributes for each computer,what if I need more information ? Thank You,
Remya

ega
Contributor III

We have done something similar to @RoberUL via the casper api but we call into saved advanced computer search to get more detail. Service Now imports are programming challenges more than casual configuration so one really needs training to understand the environment.

dilan
New Contributor III

@RogerUL Hey Roger! Can you share your contact information? Would love to pick your brain a bit as we at CU Boulder want to do the same thing you are doing at your institution.

cshepp11
New Contributor III

b08e293e74e840d8a69efe071b9618e3
We actually mapped the tables to pull data from Casper to ServiceNow and run a sync in the evening. Soon, we will be doing a bi-directional transaction (Read/Write)

Still working on things.

jason_bracy
Contributor III

Just wondering how you guys are integrating Casper data into ServiceNow. Every couple of months this gets brought up. I'd like to be able to setup a nightly sync, but don't even know where to start.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

My company opted to by the JAMF SCCM plug-in, so once implemented, my JSS data will be in SCCCM (which talks to ServiceNow), from which my Mac data will ultimatley get written to ServiceNow.

rcamacho
New Contributor II

@RaulSantos We integrated with Service Now as well and the SN folks used the REST query advancecomputersearches and export what they needed via XML. Hope this helps.

DFeredinos
New Contributor

@cshepp11 Hey sorry, but how exactly did you do that? I mean, not exactly, but essentially. We recently started doing discovery on our windows machines and I've been tasked with getting the same form our Macs. Currently, the windows users run a .hta file that gets downloaded, but if I can map as you did man that'd be great. Any assistance, thoughts, etc. you can provide would be awesome, cheers!

csa
New Contributor III

We have just finished our integration between JSS and snow. We use the JAMF plugin to snow available on the service now marketplace. Works great integrating with the mid server to JSS was easy and by default all attributes are brought in from JSS with the exception of extension attributes. Working with JAMF to get them added to snow also. So far so good. JAMF support for the plugin has been excellent so far. There are two plugins one for inventory info and another to allow software pushes from snow to go to JSS and then deployment happens from JSS to client. Did not do that as yet because if ridiculous licensing terms from snow. Let me know if you need any info on that approach.

jamfp
New Contributor II

Hey Guys, We are new to JAMF and wanted to integrate ServiceNOW with JAMF. So what I wanted to know is, the only way to integrate JAMF with serviceNOW is via SCCM plugin ? Please advise.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

ServiceNow sells a plug-in now for Jamf. Skips SCCM. Jamf does not sell directly, it as it is an official SN product.

Reach out to your ServiceNow rep for the full details. I think it is ~$2500+. Can't recall.

More info: https://www.jamf.com/resources/product-documentation/jamf-pro-and-servicenow-integration/

mackenson_emile
New Contributor

@rcamacho Mind sharing your script or process? @cshepp11