Set Default Printer options via CUPS ?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Currently in my printer policies I have the payload 'files and processes' filled in with

lpadmin -p name -o setting=value -o setting2=value

if i instead go the the CUPS interface and change the default options this way

Administration --> Manage Printers --> choose printer --> Set Default Options

and then upload the printer to Casper Admin, will also these default options that I changed also follow the uploaded printer into Casper Admin?

so that when a person adds the printer via Self Service that also the default options that I change via CUPS will get set for that person ??? or do i still have to do the lpadmin -p name -o setting=value ?

an example change I do is have color printers default to printing B/W instead of Color

This is how my printer policies go; first installs the driver and then adds the printer then does the 'files and processes'. So I dont' see this CUPS option working my way, is this true ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

lpadmin -p Color_XWC7855 -o printer-is-shared=false -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ruschg
New Contributor II

@tcandela - perhaps this might help...https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/20278/editing-default-options-for-printers-via-localhost

I had the same issue in our AD environment. Here my policy includes two parts: the printer which was added via Casper Admin and a script that runs after the fact. I'll include the script I have below.

Best,
GR

ruschg
New Contributor II

!/bin/bash

lpadmin -p ADMINPRT_KC173_XRWC7835_ps_24710_ -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@ruschg I am doing what you're doing but without the script.

I have my lpadmin -p ............... in the file and processes payload in the 'execute command' section

lpadmin -p Color_XWC7855 -o printer-is-shared=false -o XRColorCorrection=Gray -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

I was wondering if this lpadmin command can be avoided ? by going into CUPS and changing the defaults from there, then upload the printer to Casper Admin.

no big deal if it can't because this file and processes payload 'execute command' section works fine, but was just wondering.

@ruschg I have the XWC7855 do i need the XRColorCorrection=Gray ?

ruschg
New Contributor II

@tcandela - In my own situation I haven't had any luck modifying CUPS settings for a printer, uploading them to CA, and deploying them from there. Hence the need for the script on my end. I'll look to follow this thread

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@ruschg we basically do the same thing but in 2 different ways, you use a script and i use the 'execute command' section

the ppd file from the printer being uploaded to Casper also has to be added to the policy, replacing the default ppd file that gets installed with the driver.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

lpadmin -p Color_XWC7855 -o printer-is-shared=false -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

Praisethesun
New Contributor II

Hi team, is Color_XWC7855 the name of the printer driver?

If so, where would you find this on a Mac?