Setting iOS device names in 9.5

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Colour me stupid, but I can't seem to find where I am able to edit this?
The addition comment states "The Casper Suite version 9.5 introduces the ability to set and enforce mobile device names. Names can be set using a PreStage enrollment or from individual mobile device records."
But I cannot seem to find where in my individual device record.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mradams
Contributor

The IOS device must be supervised and on IOS 8. Once those criteria are met access the device and select general on the Inventory Tab. Select Edit General and check the box next to "Enforce Mobile Device Name". This will lock the name to the device and if it is changed on the device, at next checkin Casper, will change it back to the locked name. I have also found if you unsupervise the device as long as it is in Casper when supervised again the name will automatically change upon enrollment.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

denmoff
Contributor III

Yeah. I can't find it either. I thought it just had to be a supervised device, but that wasn't it either.

mradams
Contributor

The IOS device must be supervised and on IOS 8. Once those criteria are met access the device and select general on the Inventory Tab. Select Edit General and check the box next to "Enforce Mobile Device Name". This will lock the name to the device and if it is changed on the device, at next checkin Casper, will change it back to the locked name. I have also found if you unsupervise the device as long as it is in Casper when supervised again the name will automatically change upon enrollment.

mpittcasd
Contributor

Will this work for AppleTVs? I'm having issues with teachers changing their names.

JKling
New Contributor III

Second on the AppleTV question...

Also, can you use a system variable to set the iPad name? i.e. %username%

def
New Contributor

Is it possible to enforce the mobile device names of a batch of devices in one step or do i have to set it one by one?

mradams
Contributor

From what I can tell not yet. I requested a feature upgrade for the ability to create a smart group that will allow me to track those without enforcement being set. This way I can at least know which ones do not.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Has anyone found a way to batch rename these?

JKling
New Contributor III

Here is what I got from support. Make sure you understand the ramifications...

Let's make sure that we take a db backup before we run the following commands and have it saved in a secure area: update mobile_devices set display_name=(select username from mobile_devices_denormalized); update mobile_devices_denormalized set display_name=username; update mobile_devices set managed_device_name=(select username from mobile_devices_denormalized);

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Nice, thanks!

bcampbell
Contributor

Will the query that JKling posted set the "Enforce Mobile Device Name" setting on for all the records caught by the query or does that still have to be set manually, one by one?

My guess is no, but I don't know if the managed _device_name field as opposed to the display_name field (or the difference between the mobile_devices table and the mobile_devices_normalized table) has anything to do with that.