Settings notification "Device is being managed by..." removal

Jsiebert
New Contributor II

Hello and Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I purchased some apple devices through my apple business account at full price. Two of the devices need to be handed off to others outside of the company and we no longer want to manage the devices or have anything to associate us with them.

I was able to remove the profile from the devices and no longer can see them in our inventory of devices. They are effectively unmanaged through JAMF.

In the settings on the actual device there is still a flag at the top that says "device is being managed by... (and our company name)"

How do I remove this flag from the device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

You will need to remove the serial numbers of these devices from the PreStage they are in, since it appears you are using DEP.

Also, if you will never be managing these devices again, you should go into ASM/ABM and Release/disown the devices totally from DEP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In cases like this, if possible, it's best to wipe/reinstall the OS on the device, to be sure that it's fully unmanaged and has no associated files or settings from your management console. It also gives them a clean OS to start from, rather than something that may have a lot of leftover cruft on it. Is it possible to wipe these or do they need to be handed over "as is" to these people?

If wiping them isn't possible, did you run a remove framework command on them to remove the Jamf files? Removing the profile is only removing the MDM piece, but may leave some of the older Jamf management tools in place.

As for the flag you're referencing, I don't know if I'm familiar with that. Can you post a screenshot with your company name blanked out, so we can see what you're referring to?

Jsiebert
New Contributor II

Thank you.

I can wipe them again if that would remove the flag. I did send the UNMANAGE DEVICE command after removing the profiles etc. I can no longer see the devices in my inventory on JAMF PRO. I should also state that these are iPhones and not computer or iPads. That is where the message is showing. (At the top of settings in iOS). I will try and get a a screen cap.

Also, I believe that after I wipe them on startup the Profiles will attempt to install automatically since this is setup to occur with sdevices purchased on my business account.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

You will need to remove the serial numbers of these devices from the PreStage they are in, since it appears you are using DEP.

Also, if you will never be managing these devices again, you should go into ASM/ABM and Release/disown the devices totally from DEP.

How do I do this?

"You will need to remove the serial numbers of these devices from the PreStage they are in, since it appears you are using DEP."

I already released devices through ABM.

The Devices are still showing the profile even though I released and removed them. I'm hoping to not have to wipe them out.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hello. Releasing them from ASM/ABM will indeed remove them from Jamf and the prestage.

I don't think may previous answer was complete/thorough, so..

That message on the phone is telling the user that it is a Supervised device and thus owned by an Institution.

The OP said they had Unmanaged them and the message was still in Settings. I believe you are going to have to wipe them so they don't go through DEP.

An iCloud backup and then a restore *might* work. This process works differently if the restore goes on the same device that was backed up, as in it puts those profiles back on. But if you restore a different Apple ID to the phone it doesn't. Test one..

thanks,

chris

Jsiebert
New Contributor II

Excellent thank you.

pete_c
Contributor III

To further what @cdenesha said, it is in fact now part of Apple Business Manager's TOS to release a device that is no longer in your organization's usage:

Devices can be removed from Apple Business Manager. You remove a device from the program if it’s been sold, lost, or can’t be repaired. This is called releasing a device. Under the terms and conditions of Apple Business Manager, you are legally required to release any devices you no longer own.

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-business-manager/release-devices-asmec4d28461/web