Specify application version for "Mac Apps"

lsv
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm looking at starting to leverage the Mac Apps tool in Jamf (Computers > Mac Apps > Jamf App Catalog). My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be a way to specify the application version.

For example, if Slack just released version 4.36.138, we would like to roll that version out to a specific few users to test to make sure that nothing breaks company wide. Once that is confirmed we would then like to be able to push that version out to the whole company.

Moreover, should something break down the line, we would also like the ability to revert back to previous versions (essentially maintaining historical versions of each app that we support).

With our current process, we can do this through patch management, but that still requires the individual packaging of each application through Composer. It's very possible that I'm missing a step in this, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this via the Mac Apps feature.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

if this is a requirement.. create Jamf App smart groups for each app..  Pilot Slack - scope as required.. Live Slack - scope to all.

the ability to revert / roll back application installs has not existed ever in macOS..

You could script something.. but it's not really something I've even seen in enterprise... its.. a bad idea.. 

lsv
New Contributor III

The ability to revert technically does exist via Patch Management.

I unfortunately don't see that functionality via the Mac Apps install process :/

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 2.38.11 PM.png

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

that does not revert the version.. unless there is something going on that Ive never seen... have you tested this? 

thats just specifying an older installer version.. thats depended on an older pkg removing the updated version? how would that work? 

other than back in the day where you could index a DMG and that could remove the files installed.. thats still not a correct removal of an app.. it will still leave crud / files generated that were not part of the initial deployment.. 

removing any app requires a script ... available for Adobe and Microsoft.. but for most apps there is no rollback unless you have specific code. 

lsv
New Contributor III

As long as you have the "Downgrade" option selected it allows you to revert back to any version you have historically maintained.

Certain apps may not allow it, but even then, you can still uninstall the app and reinstall it at the specified version.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 2.57.25 PM.png

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

how exactly are you going to 'uninstall' them... as part of this process?  Chrome, Office, Adobe.. all need code to remove .. correctly... hence why there are tools to do this.. (not sure about Chrome.. its a pig to remove) otherwise you will end up with frankenapps .. part old part new.. and not what you really want...  

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

App Installers does not support any way to manage deployments beyond setting the scoped group. Unfortunately the ability to set a pilot group and defer deployment to the fleet does not exist. 

I know that limitation has been expressed to Jamf. If it is important, please file a Feature Request. 

lsv
New Contributor III

That's unfortunate, I'll just have to keep going down the patch management process then. Thanks!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@lsv Be aware that some apps the vendor provided installer packages will not install an older version over a newer version. For those you will need to remove the version you want to downgrade prior to installing the one you want as @jamf-42 mentions.

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

HI @Tribruin  and @lsv . If you enrol in the Jamf Pro 11.2 beta program you might find some more interesting information on this topic. Login to Jamf Account, click on the Feedback option from the menu and choose to enrol in the 11.2 beta. Once enrolled, the beta release notes will run you through the highlights of what is new. 

lsv
New Contributor III

This is very interesting! When should we expect a full rollout of 11.2?

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

11.2 was released today

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-release-notes-current/page/New_Features_and_Enhancements.html

I run through an example of how to use the new manual update version of App Installers in this blog post

https://www.jamf.com/blog/app-installers-whats-new/