Switching Jamf Cloud time zone from UTC to EST

SMR1
Contributor III

I found where to change the timezone to EST, under my preferences, but if I change it will it change it for the server or just under my account? Trying to deploy 3rd party updates and want to use server-side limitations and it would easier if it was EST.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@SMR1 If you want the server to use EST internally then you will need to request Jamf Support do that for your instance (with the qualification that I have had this done for a Jamf Premium Cloud hosted instance, but I do not know a standard Jamf Cloud instance has this option)

View solution in original post

talkingmoose

All Jamf Cloud servers are set to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by default. Only Jamf Premium Cloud customers may request their server be set to a different time zone.

If you change your Jamf Pro user account's time zone to a different time zone, that only affects your view within Jamf Pro itself. It doesn't change the server's time zone and won't affect anyone else. It also doesn't change when server-side schedules are run. They'll still run according to UTC.

If you're deploying third-party updates to your devices, you really want to do that based on each device's time zone rather than the server's time zone. Schedules in policies (Client-Size Limitations) will run according to the device's clock and time zone not the server's.

App Store apps set to automatically update, though, will cause Jamf Pro to check once every 24 hours at the time you specify. Therefore, if you want Jamf Pro to check for new app versions at midnight and you live in US Central time zone (UTC -06:00), then you'll really want to set the app's schedule to 6:00 a.m. UTC.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SMR1
Contributor III

I don't want to change it mess something up.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@SMR1 If you want the server to use EST internally then you will need to request Jamf Support do that for your instance (with the qualification that I have had this done for a Jamf Premium Cloud hosted instance, but I do not know a standard Jamf Cloud instance has this option)

talkingmoose

All Jamf Cloud servers are set to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by default. Only Jamf Premium Cloud customers may request their server be set to a different time zone.

If you change your Jamf Pro user account's time zone to a different time zone, that only affects your view within Jamf Pro itself. It doesn't change the server's time zone and won't affect anyone else. It also doesn't change when server-side schedules are run. They'll still run according to UTC.

If you're deploying third-party updates to your devices, you really want to do that based on each device's time zone rather than the server's time zone. Schedules in policies (Client-Size Limitations) will run according to the device's clock and time zone not the server's.

App Store apps set to automatically update, though, will cause Jamf Pro to check once every 24 hours at the time you specify. Therefore, if you want Jamf Pro to check for new app versions at midnight and you live in US Central time zone (UTC -06:00), then you'll really want to set the app's schedule to 6:00 a.m. UTC.