Test Environment

Glenn
New Contributor

New to JSS/JAMF; so please bare with me...

I am trying to set up a small test environment for JSS. I've been running into several roadblocks.

After thinking about more today - I am starting to suspect that I will need internet access to the systems (VM's)?

Currently, I have one VM acting as the server for JSS. I did connect to the internet long enough to get the Push Certificate for Self Service.

Then I have four VM's set up with Mac OS (El Capitan).

I cannot get self-service to work as it should. I am able to ping the server, but SelfService will not load properly. Systems that are enrolled are checking in successfully.

I also seem to be missing the option in JSS to add my own packages in Self Service so I suspect I missed something in the initial setup?

Any help or guidance appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Glenn
New Contributor

Also I am not seeing the profile(s) installing on the systems that are enrolled.

cbutcher
New Contributor III

There is a setting in Management Settings that turns on/off Self Service. Self Service will not install or let you scope applications to it unless it is enabled in Management Settings. It is under Computer Management - Management Framework.

And regarding internet access, in order to use configuration profiles, you must have internet access on both the JSS VM and any clients as they must communicate to the APNS. The clients must be able to talk to 17.0.0.0/8 over port 5223 and the server over ports 2195 and 2196 for profiles to work.

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

If you're using push networks, you're going to need the server talking to the net all the time.

What does self service say when it loads?

Does the log file for jamf help?
/var/log/jamf.log

shibao_si
New Contributor II

need Distribution Points to add your own packages in Self Service. New to JAMF too....

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Generally speaking, I'd recommend having your test environment setup as close to the real environment as possible.

Internet access is definitely needed for APNS (2195 and 2196 outbound from the server to Apple and 5223 outbound from the clients to Apple). Beyond that there are lots of other ports used by Mac clients depending on what you're testing. For the base OS, there's software update, certificate verification and ntp services. Then you've got all the different app vendors. Microsoft and Adobe (for example) need to be able to communicate with the vendors servers on a regular basis for licensing purposes.