Unable to reinstall Application after removing

SMR1
Contributor III

Just curious if anybody has run into an issue where you uninstall app, but won't reinstall, but the policy logs show successful reinstall. A while back I was testing a snagit version and used the uninstaller, but after that, I could never get it to reinstall. I went through the Mac and removed every file related to Snagit, went in to the /Jamf folder and removed anything related to snagit. For that I eventually just reimaged it. I just came across the issue again uninstalling cisco secure client. I have a script that uninstalls the old version of AnyConnect and modified it, but it broke something and didn't uninstall. I gave myself admin rights and just ran the uninstallers for both the client and the dart agent. Verified all other files were gone including in the /Jamf folder. Now when I try to install the old version which we use in our current deployment, it doesn't install, but the policy log says it was successful. It does install the /opt/anyconnect folder, but not all the components. When I run the new version, it adds the new /opt folder, but it's only installing the Dart agent and not the client. Both of these package's work on other devices. I also used the vanilla package I got from infosec guys and that only installs Dart. I have jamf call setup for Monday. Not sure why it won't reinstall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shyamsundar
New Contributor II

try removing the package receipts by running the below command.

sudo pkgutil --forget package_id

to find the package_id run, 

pkgutil --pkgs

Identify the package that has the issue and remove it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

When I run into situations like this, I cut Jamf out of the equation. Run the package locally on the device and see what it does, also look through /var/log/install.log and see what is being reported.

SMR1
Contributor III

That's one of the steps I did and it does the same thing, it only installs part of the agent. The jamf package I'm using is currently being rolled out, so the package is fine. I just tested it on another Mac and there weren't any issues. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

As @Shyamsundar suggested, forgetting the package would be a good next step. However, I'm still curious as to what the install.log is saying. Im not suggesting the package is broken, but the install log will tell you what errors the package is having when running and will give you an idea of what to fix.

Shyamsundar
New Contributor II

try removing the package receipts by running the below command.

sudo pkgutil --forget package_id

to find the package_id run, 

pkgutil --pkgs

Identify the package that has the issue and remove it.

SMR1
Contributor III

@Shyamsundar 
That did the trick, when I ran the 2nd command it actually found few items related to the cisco. I ran the --forget and restarted and when I ran the self service items, it installed correctly. Thanks Guys for the assistance. I'll have to make a note for this. @AJPinto I didn't really dig in to the logs, but I did provide them to jamf and have a call setup on Monday and will see what they find.