Upgrade 10.6.8 Server with JSS to Lion

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

So I have some time carved out for this afternoon to do the Lion upgrade on our main JSS - I've read that we can install the community MySQL thing.

Since I'm upgrading to Lion, do I need to bother with the SQL? Should I install SQL first then Upgrade? Is there any setup I have to do to JSS so it doesn't cause trouble?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aturner
New Contributor III

Here is what i did the other day to make it work in my update from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3..

1. Backup Database again using the JSS Utility or grab a recent one and place on another server: -that is found in /Library/JSS/bin/JSSDatabaseUtil.jar

2. Backup Entire server to external drive -Incase the Lion upgrade fails

3. Download Lion and Lion Server and upgrade computer

4. Install Lion Server

5. Install 10.7.3 Combo Patch found through normal updater

6. Install Server Admin Pack

7. Install Java: Type into Terminal: "java -version" (don't use "")
    -They left this out of Lion

8. Install MySQL from website. Community is fine and make sure to grab the installer and not the other source files. This keeps you from having to place them in the right location. -You may need to turn this on in System preferences after you install it and the Preference Pane for it
    -Use the: mysql-5.5.20-osx10.6-x86_64.dmg
    -Found at http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

9. Download and install the JSS installer for 8.4 or whatever you were or on, just don't go back in versions.
    -This will probably make it all work again. It will probably find your last database and pull that directly and you won't need to restore.

10. Ensure Tomcate and MySQL are running and restart them in the JSSDatabaseUtil if needed.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aturner
New Contributor III

Here is what i did the other day to make it work in my update from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3..

1. Backup Database again using the JSS Utility or grab a recent one and place on another server: -that is found in /Library/JSS/bin/JSSDatabaseUtil.jar

2. Backup Entire server to external drive -Incase the Lion upgrade fails

3. Download Lion and Lion Server and upgrade computer

4. Install Lion Server

5. Install 10.7.3 Combo Patch found through normal updater

6. Install Server Admin Pack

7. Install Java: Type into Terminal: "java -version" (don't use "")
    -They left this out of Lion

8. Install MySQL from website. Community is fine and make sure to grab the installer and not the other source files. This keeps you from having to place them in the right location. -You may need to turn this on in System preferences after you install it and the Preference Pane for it
    -Use the: mysql-5.5.20-osx10.6-x86_64.dmg
    -Found at http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

9. Download and install the JSS installer for 8.4 or whatever you were or on, just don't go back in versions.
    -This will probably make it all work again. It will probably find your last database and pull that directly and you won't need to restore.

10. Ensure Tomcate and MySQL are running and restart them in the JSSDatabaseUtil if needed.

Hope that helps!

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

These steps worked perfectly, thank you!

Quick question though, how do I know if mysql is working?

I see mysqld running in activity monitor, but when I check my iPad app "Server Admin" it shows it's not.
EDIT After this:
the system pref pane says not running, but i can access the JSS and see history and stuff like that. I've tried rebooting, but the mysql stays "not running" the only way I can get it to say that it's running is to kill the mysqld process, then turn it back on via system pref.

aturner
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, in Lion Server Admin, the MySQL radio button and feature set is intentionally left out. It doesn't come with a Lion installation, therefore, they are not supporting it in their Admin interface.

You are right in seeing in Activity monitor. Again, you can restart it through the Database Utility I believe: -that is found in /Library/JSS/bin/JSSDatabaseUtil.jar

I'm not sure about the System Preference Pane to be honest. You may want to get rid of it and re-add it back. Alternatively, you can check out other MySQL manipulators like phpmyAdmin. I have actually used this to create the JSS database instead of using JAMF's way in terminal (that is unsupported of course).

Good luck.