upgrading from 9.81 to 9.92

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I decided to upgrade our JSS from 9.81 to 9.92 today. When I run the JSS Installer.msi I am prompted to "Please specify a network location for the server image of JSS product" and it defaults to the C: drive of our Windows server 2012 system. I've never gotten this prompt before with previous upgrades. I can't find any information about this in the Installation guide nor in Jamfnation. I accepted the default and clicked next. The installer went VERY quickly and was over in less than 5 seconds. Once again this is very different from previous upgrades. When I restarted the server and logged into JSS, it is still at version 9.81. I've re-downloaded the installer from My Assets just in case it's something weird with my installer... with no change. What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drew_duggan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

With 9.9, the Windows installer changed to allow for installations into other directories on the server, so that would be why you got that additional prompt.

Since the upgrade doesn't appear to be taking, a couple tricks you could try out. First, stop the Apache Tomcat services on the server, and then re-run the installer. See if that resolves it. Second, stop Apache Tomcat, back up the web app (C:Program FilesJSSTomcatwebappsROOT) to your Desktop. Re-run the installer, and that will install a fresh web application that should be the updated version. A note with that, is that if you'd done any customization previously to your Tomcat setup, those might not be respected with the "factory installation" of the new web app (depending on what they were).

If you're still seeing this after trying those things, reach out to your JAMF Support contact, and they'll be able to get you squared away.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

drew_duggan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

With 9.9, the Windows installer changed to allow for installations into other directories on the server, so that would be why you got that additional prompt.

Since the upgrade doesn't appear to be taking, a couple tricks you could try out. First, stop the Apache Tomcat services on the server, and then re-run the installer. See if that resolves it. Second, stop Apache Tomcat, back up the web app (C:Program FilesJSSTomcatwebappsROOT) to your Desktop. Re-run the installer, and that will install a fresh web application that should be the updated version. A note with that, is that if you'd done any customization previously to your Tomcat setup, those might not be respected with the "factory installation" of the new web app (depending on what they were).

If you're still seeing this after trying those things, reach out to your JAMF Support contact, and they'll be able to get you squared away.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I did end up reaching out to tech support and the solution ended up being a manual installation.

I did make sure my complaint about "Please specify a network location for the server image of JSS product" was heard. This is a very confusing statement when running the installer locally. I'm not installing to the network, I'm installing to the server that I'm running the installer from. Every other Windows installer might simply say "select the target disk" or "pick a location to install to". Why Jamf chose to say "Please specify a network location for the server image of JSS product" is beyond me.

chad_fox
Contributor II

Hi @AVmcclint I'm running into this same prompt now.

Do you have the instructions from JAMF?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately not, but it did involve downloading the "manual install" from my JAMF Assets page. From that point on, i completely forgot the details. I should have written them down because I'm sure i'll probably have to do the steps again for subsequent updates. Definitely call your JAMF Buddy and they should be able to walk you through the necessary steps.

chad_fox
Contributor II

Alright, so I figured it out with my JAMF Buddy.

I was using /a instead of /i

After the edit, the installer ran as expected and I was able to to a full complete install.

1d1ec1bf070b4fe7a4f5f406cbaaf726

juicetoon
New Contributor

@chad.fox thank you! I was using /a instead of /i also.